Eighth: Wasn't Easy

Eighth: Wasn't Easy

I didn’t change as much as the other girls did.  I still tied my hair up since it was the only style I knew.  I couldn’t be bothered reading magazines and wasn’t too updated in knowing what was trending.  For me, life is life and you shouldn’t take it for granted. 

       It was summer again which means more swimming competition would take place.  More training, more exercise, more dieting and obviously, back in the game with Ethan.

       Ethan and I worked extremely hard because one of us could possibly be the next champion.  Even though my femininity had a possibility to flap, yet my stage of skills was far more average than his.  Maybe you were thinking that I had muscles and all the muscular stuff that swimmers get.  But no, I didn’t have muscles, just so you know.

The heat was striking my body.  The sun was so high that it melted the clouds away.  It was the hottest and driest summer ever and I felt toasted.  Whatever the weather was, the class still went on.  My dad kept training all of us together and we were dripping sweat, the most sweat I dripped since the history of my swimming career.  We ran for five kilometers around the beach, back and forth beside the shore.  Running on sand was harder than running on ground.  It was so exhausting.  So I stopped to catch my breath.

       “No stopping miss!” Coach yelled from a far.

       Even though he was my dad, there were no exceptions when it came to training.  For him, training us was his most valuable possession.  It was his goal.  It was like we were his sports car that he would keep upgrading to make it faster.  He would spend half of the day with us and wouldn’t stop until we reached our goal.    

       “I can’t do it!”  I begged still trying to slow my breathing.

       “Do you want to win?” he approached me.

       “Yes.”

       “Then run.”

       It was as easy as that.  I had great fear of him.  Whatever he told me I’d do at a tick of a clock.