Thirty Sixth: Sweet Smile of His

The day had pretty gone well.      

       We held a little celebration party for the winners beside the Surfer’s bar that night.  All the laughter, the fun and the food.  I wouldn’t forget this night.  We were all happy.

       When dad approached me, facing him for the first time since the beginning of the race.  I started to get scared.

       “Saydie,” he started.

       “Yes dad?”

       “I’m still proud of you.” He hugged me.

       “I tried, dad.” I whispered softly, still not letting go.  Once again, I felt so teary.  This was such an emotional day.

       “And you gave your best. That’s enough to make me smile.”

       Just when I remembered.  Ethan’s dad.  His sick, his weak.  He’s dying.  And his precious smile that Ethan needed to see.

       I let go of my dad and said, “I love you, Dad. Forever.”

       “I love you, more.” He replied.

       After I stepped back, Ethan was behind me.  My dad congratulated him, “Well done, Ethan. As always.”

       I felt a smile sneaking on my face.  I was so happy that he won.  He deserved it more.  My dad patted his back, but not for long, he embraced him.  Probably feeling the sorrow that he was feeling.  Ethan had told all of them about his dad before the party had started.

As soon as the party ended and every one left, Ethan led me to his dad’s mustang, the car we used when he brought me to the summer dance.

       No conversation was made.  I think he needed silence.  And it wasn’t awkward.  I felt like I needed it too.

       As he pulled the car to the hospital’s parking lot, we managed to get out fast.  We went straight to the lift.  It was obvious that he visited his dad everyday because he knew all the floors and its short cuts even with his eyes closed.  The nurses knew him, some of them greeted us as we walked in the hall.  Finally we arrived on his dad’s door.  I read the name on the plate, Runwell, Jacob. 

       Ethan opened the door carefully, it squeaked.  I entered first and saw a man, lying down on the bed.  The television was on.  He looked at us.

       “Ethan!” his voice was weak and hoarse.  The happiness on his face when he saw Ethan was priceless.  I would never trade anything for a smile like that. 

       “Dad, how are you?” Ethan went to hug him.

       “I’m okay. The doctor came and said they’ll be back later tonight to inject me.” His voice was slow and low, “How’s the competition, son?”

       Ethan couldn’t stop smiling, and I also found myself smiling the whole time.  He pulled his gold medal out from his pocket, carefully showing it to him.

       Mr Runwell first thought it was a 50 cent coin, but as he ran his fingers on it and found the red, white and blue lace attached, he knew that it was the one he was expecting.

       “You won! First place!” he cried.

       Ethan went into his father’s arms, cherishing the moment.  I had never witnessed something so special like this.  A father and son, so grateful, so happy.  It was indescribable.  I would never want to miss something like this, it was like in the movies.  And that smile, that sweet smile, had finally appeared.

       Just when Mr Runwell noticed me, “Who’s that young lady you have with you?”

       “Sorry dad, I forgot. This is Saydie, my swim mate.” Ethan turned to me, still smiling.  His face full of charms, “The one I got to beat in the competition.”

       “Very funny, Ethan.” I let out a soft laugh.

       I approached his dad, “Good to see you, Mr Runwell. I hope you’re proud of your son. He really worked hard. He trained and really gave his best. We’re all proud of him.”

       I could see Ethan making a proud look on his face.  But this time, for his dad.

       Mr Runwell nodded his head, “I feel so blessed to have a son like Ethan.  He’s one of a kind.”

       I held my gaze to Ethan saying, “Yeah, one of a kind.”

       He looked at Ethan, “My boy, you’ve done it again. And you beat her.” He winked.

       We all laughed.  I was glad that his dad could still be able to joke at this stage of time.

We stayed there for a few hours.  We chatted about random things and Mr Runwell would always tell us his childhood memories.  How he met Ethan’s mother and how he always drown in the ocean.  It was funny.  The night was full of laughters.  I also told him how Ethan and I used to hate each other.  But I never told him what Ethan did to me.  That was a secret that only Ethan and I should keep.

       Talking to Mr Runwell was like talking to a long lost uncle.  He had a great sense of humor and I think it ran in their family.  He never ran out of stories to tell.  I felt like I knew him forever.  And when you actually started to have a conversation with him, you couldn’t even tell that he was sick.  He was a wonderful man, I thank God for that.  He read his Bible everyday and would listen to Christian music.  I could feel that he wasn’t afraid of dying.  Instead, he was happy.  He weren’t like anybody whose fear was dying.  He accepted it the moment he knew it, and tried to go with the flow.  He had faith.  He was strong.  And he loved his life.

The time came when we were about to live.  I couldn’t believe that he was still wide awake, still smiling and all.  He was a cheery man, despite of his condition.

       “I think it’s time to leave, it’s almost midnight.” Ethan said.

       “Well, time flies when you’re having fun, right Saydie?”

       I nodded, “Sure was fun.” And I told myself, This is the greatest night ever.

       “I promise to come back.” I told him.

       “Yeah, come back whenever you want.”

       I gave him a hug. 

       Ethan left the lamp on and turned off the lights, then shut the door quietly.  I could still see the smile on his dad’s face.

       “Your dad is wonderful.” I said to him on the way home.

       “Yeah? I could tell that he likes you. Never seen him like that before.”

       I smiled.

       “You know what? You should be the happiest boy on earth.” I said.

       “I am.” He paused, “Because I have the best dad, I get to drive his car, I won the competition—“

       “—Brag all you want mister.”

       “And.. I have you.”

       I smiled again, this time he caught it.

       “Feeling a little bit caught up, little girl?” he teased.

       “Oh, shut up.” but I could tell that he was also blushing.

       He pulled for a stop in front of our house

       “Guess I’ll see you then.” I jumped off the car.

       “Wait,” he said, “Tomorrow, evening. Pick you up at six or seven?”

       As usual, his casual invite.  I managed one last smile.

       “Seven.”