Seventeenth: Kill Me Now

Kill me now.

       The staring faces turned to me.

       Did I hear my name?  With Ethan Runwell?  That jerk who always tried to beat me in the competition?  Who I hated the most?  Who I had no idea where he came from?  Why?  Of all the boys living in this small little town, why did it have to be him?  I would rather be with my brother!  Anyone but him.

       “Are you alright? You seemed kind of frozen like your friend here.” Chloe pointed out to Bridget.

       “Please tell me I’m dead.”

       “Sorry but, you’re not.” She answered.

       I froze just like Bridget but worst.  My body froze too.

       “Guys! I’m warning you now that I won’t be carrying you back home.” She warned.  None of us heard moved.

       “Guys!” she yelled.  She waved her hands in front of us. “Great. Now there’s two ice heads here.”

       “Nice go Saydie!” Andrew shouted, doing a “gun shot” hand action.  It wasn’t even funny.  He even did it crappily.

       Bridget began moving again once she heard Andrew’s voice.  She didn’t like him though, but she didn’t hate him either.  She looked at me, “Coincidence? I think not.”

We were the only ones left as the crowd began to vanish little by little.  The sun had slowly dropped and stars began to twinkle.  The only thing that lighted the area was the Christmas lights from the Surfer’s barwhich we were still staying at.  We bought a couple of chips and soft drinks, and had finally accepted the thing that happened earlier. 

       “I still couldn’t believe that you’ll have to go out with my brother.”

       “Don’t act like you’re so surprised. Ethan picking you was the most epic thing that happened this year.”

       The lights flickered.

       “More like an epic fail.” I said.

       “Imagine you and him on the center of the dance floor, being all so dramatic.  You’ll look each other in the eyes and suddenly you’ll realize that there wouldn’t be any other person you’ll want to spend with.  Then he finally leans to you and—”

       “Seriously?  What’s gotten into you?” I shrugged, “Have you been seeing any Nicholas Sparks’ films lately?”

       “No I haven’t. I just figured out that maybe Ethan will make you happy.  And besides, I want you to be happy.” She focused her eyes as she folded her serviette carefully.

       “And what made you think that I wasn’t happy? And I’ll tell you that there is no way that he’ll make me happy. The competition’s not over yet.” I reminded.

       “What competition?” a voice came from behind.  I turned my head to know that it was Ethan.

       What are you doing here? How long have you been here? I wanted to ask.  But I figured that it wasn’t important anymore.  So instead I said, “Don’t pretend that you don’t know it.”

       “Know it? I’ve been living it.” He raised his eyebrows, giving a bring-it-on look.

       “Just so you know, I have been training hard nowadays.” I assumed.

       “And you think that’s enough?”

       “Enough for a girl to have the guts to beat a boy.”

       “You really have that girl power, don’t you?” his eyes locked at mine.

       “Once I’ve won, then you’ll know.”

       “And once you lose?”

       I thought for a moment, “Prove me that you can do better than that that’ll convince me that I don’t deserve the place.”

       “Deal.” He reached his hands to mine then shook it, “One last thing,”

       “What is it?” I asked.

       “Will I pick you up at six or seven?”