Eleventh: The Bro And The Boy

Eleventh: The Bro And The Boy

 A sunny Monday came and I was assigned to work at the Cafe until noon.  It wasn’t really a difficult task since not much people came in.  Who would want a warm latte in summer anyway? 

       I didn’t do stuff like serving customers or cleaning after them.  I just stayed in the counter and worked on the cash register.  It was the easiest thing to do around and I won’t get tired easily.  That made the pay so worth it.  My mom didn’t call it work by the way, she called it a duty and the money I get was my allowance.

       We did get a lot of young people who wants to work at our Café.  Though we only needed one because it wasn’t that big of a restaurant that needed a lot of employees and we didn’t have much money to pay them.  So we hired this young girl, Farrah Lockins, an 18 year old brunette whose height was so tall and body so thin.  She had this frizzy hair that I always wanted to tie so badly because I was afraid that it might fall off the food.  Though, she still works reliably and responsibly for a young lady.  The only thing that turned me off of her was the way she dressed.  I mean, she always tried so hard to mix and match her clothes that it didn’t go with her anymore.  One time she wore this purple and green striped shirt with a plain old fashioned legging.  Then down at her feet she wore this white boots that whenever the sun would hit it would glow or flash like a neon color.  Like those shiny signs you see in the highways.  It distracted me so much.  Why couldn’t she just be a normal girl and wear a shirt and a pair of jeans to go with it?

       Mom and I arrived early in the café.  The Warman’s wasn’t that big but it wasn’t too small either.  It was just right and the perfect size.  It was just a few blocks away from our home which made it easier for mom to work.

       Mom unlocked the entrance door.

       “Good Morning!”

       I looked behind me.  It was Farrah.

       “Good Morning!” I replied.  “Aren’t you a little bit early today?”

       My mom walked inside and we followed.

       “Yes. Yes I am. I thought it would be good to show up this early.” She said. 

       She was wearing a maroon jumper and a polka dot skirt that was below her knee.  She looked like a poor old lady that needed shelter but much worse.  Maybe dad’s idea of a uniform should’ve worked.

       “I like what you’re wearing,” I lied just to start a conversation.

       “Gee, thanks!”

       “But isn’t it too hot to be wearing a jumper?”

       “Oh,” she giggled, “don’t worry about me.  I’ll take it off later.”

       What could she be wearing underneath? I thought.

       We approached the counter table and set the place up.  I helped put the serviettes on the middle of each table and Farrah displayed the menus.  When the place looked okay, I sat at the counter and waited for customers as mom flipped the signage from Sorry, we’re closed to Welcome! Come in. 

       “Did you hear about this new chick in town?”  Farrah whispered secretly.  So scared that someone might here her even though the place was still empty.

       “Yes. I guess.”  I said unsure about the news.

       “Have you seen her?”