Thirty Third: Go!

Thirty Third: Go!

But as soon as my dad answered, I heard a familiar voice behind my back saying, “Calm down, I just went to the toilet.”

       I turned around, “Toilet? Why didn’t you do that half an hour ago when they told us to do it?” I shouted at him, “Now we only have a minute or two to get ready.” 

       “Sorry.” His voice echoed as I walked pass him and went back to the starting line.  He’d better be.  This is just the start.

       Just when I realized that the bruise on his forehead was gone, and there weren’t any more.  I was definitely sure that I aimed that little piece of rock at him, and a scar or two should really have gotten on his face.  But there wasn’t anything, not a scratch. 

       Oh my goodness, did I hit the wrong person?  But I heard his scream, was it really him?  I stood there quietly thinking how my aiming skills had failed.  Why?

       Once again I had disappointed myself.  The shot wasn’t worth it at all.  And I’d only hurt someone who I didn’t even know.  I am so stupid..  when suddenly..

       “Saydie, you don’t understand. I want to talk to you.” He said. 

       Oh sure, talk to me.  It’s not like we’re in an important swimming competition which will start in a few seconds and I bet that you’re doing this just to “distract” me again with your predictable charms that seemed to be the main reason to get me into you in the first place and make me sick so that you could win this stupid swimming competition which I now will take seriously to prove you that I am a strong girl who had been used by a selfish boy like you.  Go on, I have time.

       But instead of answering him with my sarcasm, I ignored him.  His presence, his voice, the “intro” of his apologizing segment, all of him I tried to ignore.  It wasn’t worth talking to him anymore

“Ladies and Gentlemen,” the announcer started.  Everyone had focused their attention to us.  There were three pairs: us, the team from Westside beach and the other team from the Coast Beach.  I shook off my nervousness and breathed in heavily.  This is a piece of cake, I hope.  I concentrated, just when I heard his voice again-

       “Saydie, come on, try to listen okay?”

       I didn’t say a word.

       The speaker was loud, “The race will begin in-“

       “Saydie, please?” he insisted.

       “Three…” the countdown began.

       “If you want me to apologize to you then fine.”

       “Two…” the speaker echoed loudly, I could feel the pressure embracing my body.

       “What’s the matter with you two? Concentrate!” my dad noticed us, I swallowed his words.

       “I’m sorry, okay?” but his words were louder.

       “One, go!”

As soon as they fire the gun, I dove in, pushed away my worries and swam swiftly into the ocean.  I didn’t even feel like we’re in a real competition, and this was really it.  I could feel all the shivers in my body.  I gave my best shot and did all what I learned from training, even the techniques that Ethan gave me. 

       Every time I popped my head out to gasp for air, I could see the flag coming closer and closer.  I could hear everyone cheering which didn’t really help me stay focus.

       Just nine feet away, then I could win this thing and make my dad happy.  I bet I was swimming faster than when I was in training.  I could feel myself heading for the flag.  I loved it.  I felt like I was the fastest mermaid in the sea.  Everything I planned was doing great.

       Four feet away, I could clearly see the yellow flag waving at me, I could feel the medal that I am going to wear, the trophy, the screaming audience waiting for me, my dad embracing, my mom kissing me.  Everything, I could feel it.  And it will happen in just a few seconds.

       Two feet away. 

       When suddenly, I heard the loud speakers breaking the noise, “Ethan Runwell, first place!”