Chapter 9: The patronus.

Chelbell2016:

Okay just want to say thank you to Futureauthor62 for the review and yes they really do need to have a talk and I promise it will happen.

Selena's POV:

School had become a lot harder since christmas. Harry and Ron are no longer talking to Hermione and I am trying to split my time between them. But Harry barely said three words to me since we had found out about our parents.

Oliver has us cornered in the common room right now.

"Had a good Christmas?" he said, and then, without waiting for an answer, he sat down, lowered his voice, and said, "I've been, doing some thinking over Christmas, Harry, Slenea. After last match, you know. If the dementors come to the next one... I mean... we can't afford you to -- well --"

Wood broke off, looking awkward.

"We're working on it," said Harry quickly. "Professor Lupin said he'd train me to ward off the dementors. We should be starting this week. He said he'd have time after Christmas."

"Ah," said Wood, his expression clearing. "Well, in that case -- I really didn't want to lose you as Seeker, Harry. Or you as a chaser Selena. And have either of you ordered a new broom yet?"

"No," said Harry.

"What! You'd better get a move on, you know -- you can't ride that Shooting Star against Ravenclaw!"

"They got a Firebolt each for Christmas," said Ron.

"A Firebolt? No! Seriously? A -- a real Firebolt?"

"Don't get excited, Oliver," said Harry gloomily. "We haven't got them anymore. They was confiscated." And he explained all about how the Firebolt was now being checked for jinxes.

"Jinxed? How could it be jinxed?"

"Sirius Black" Harry said wearily. "He's supposed to be after me. So McGonagall reckons he might have sent it. And Selena...."

I go wide eyed and send him a pleading look. I do not want anyone to know who my father is.

Waving aside the information that a famous murderer was after his Seeker, Wood said, "But Black couldn't have bought a Firebolt! He's on the run! The whole country's on the lookout for him! How could he just walk into Quality Quidditch Supplies and buy a broomstick?"

"I know," said Harry, "but McGonagall still wants to strip it down --"

Wood went pale.

"I'll go and talk to her, you two," he promised. "I'll make her see reason.... A Firebolt... a real Firebolt, on our team... She wants Gryffindor to win as much as we do.... I'll make her see sense. A Firebolt..."

*Selena Black*   

Classes started again the next day. The last thing anyone felt like doing was spending two hours on the grounds on a raw January morning, but Hagrid at my mums request had provided a bonfire full of salamanders for their enjoyment, and they spent an unusually good lesson collecting dry wood and leaves to keep the fire blazing while the flame-loving lizards scampered up and down the crumbling, white-hot logs.

It was Defense Against the Dark Arts that I was keen to get to; after his conversation with Wood, I wanted to get started on his anti-dementor lessons as soon as possible.

"Ah yes," said Lupin, when I reminded him of his promise at the end of class. "Let me see... how about eight o'clock on Wednesday evening? I want to see both you and Harry separate. It will make things easier.The History of Magic classroom should be large enough.... I'll have to think carefully about how we're going to do this.... We can't bring a real dementor into the castle to practice on...."