Chapter 30: Flesh, blood and bone.

Chelbell2016:

Selena's POV:

I felt my feet slam into the ground; my injured leg gave way, and I fell forward; my hand let go of the Triwizard Cup at last. I raised my head.

"Where are we?" Harry asked as we all look around.

Cedric shook his head. He got up and so did Harry then they came over to me and gently lifted me up and helped me stand.

We had left the Hogwarts grounds completely; they had obviously traveled miles -perhaps hundreds of miles - for even the mountains surrounding the castle were gone.

We were standing instead in a dark and overgrown graveyard; the black outline of a small church was visible beyond a large yew tree to their right. A hill rose above them to their left. Harry could just make out the outline of a fine old house on the hillside.

I glance around holding my sore ribs.

Cedric looked down at the Triwizard Cup and then up at Harry and I.

"Did anyone tell you the cup was a Portkey?" he asked.

"Nope," said Harry. He was looking around the graveyard. It was completely silent and slightly eerie. "Is this supposed to be part of the task?"

"I dunno," said Cedric. He sounded slightly nervous. "Wands out, d'you reckon?"

"Yeah," said Harry, sounding glad that Cedric had made the suggestion rather than him.

We pulled out their wands. I kept looking around me. I had, yet again, the strange feeling that we were being watched. I used my strong senses to look around but I couldn't see anything. But then....

"Someone's coming," I said suddenly.

Squinting tensely through the darkness, we watched the figure drawing nearer, walking steadily toward them between the graves. I couldn't make out a face, but from the way it was walking and holding its arms, he could tell that it was carrying something.

Whoever it was, he was short, and wearing a hooded cloak pulled up over his head to obscure his face. And - several paces nearer, the gap between them closing all the time - Harry and I saw that the thing in the persons arms looked like a baby ... or was it merely a bundle of robes?

Harry lowered his wand slightly and glanced sideways at Cedric. Cedric shot him a quizzical look. They both turned back to watch the approaching figure. I didn't lower my wand or glance away from the people in front of us.

It stopped beside a towering marble headstone, only six feet from them. For a second.

Harry Cedric and I look at the short figure.

And then, without warning, my scar exploded with pain. It was agony such as I had never felt in all my life; my wand slipped from my fingers as I placed my non-scar hand over my wrist. I see Harry on the ground holding his head.

From far away, above my head, I heard a high, cold voice say, "Kill the spare."

A swishing noise and a second voice, which screeched the words to the night: "Avada Kedavra!"

A blast of green light blazed. I push Cedric out of the way and raise a shield. But the force of it sends me flying back and I land on my bad leg.

"AVADA KEDAVRA!!" I hear again.

"NO!!" I yelled but I was too late. The spell soared towards Cedric and before I could even attempt to get up it hit. I moved over to Harry and we both glance at Cedric.