Chapter 33: Viretaserum.

Chapter 33: Veritaserum.

Chelbell2016:

Selena's POV:

I felt myself and Harry slam flat into the ground; my face was pressed into grass; the smell of it filled my nostrils. I had closed my eyes while the Portkey transported me, and I kept them closed now. I did not move. All the breath seemed to have been knocked out of me; my head is swimming so badly I feel as though the ground beneath me were swaying like the deck of a ship.

To hold myself steady, I tightened his hold on the two things I was still clutching: the smooth, cold handle of the Triwizard Cup and Cedric's body. I felt as though I would slide away into the blackness gathering at the edges of my brain if I let go of either of them. Shock and exhaustion kept me and Harry on the ground, breathing in the smell of the grass, waiting . . . waiting for someone to do something . . . something to happen . . . and all the while, my ribs ached, my scar hurt, I was magically drained and my leg was also hurting.

A torrent of sound deafened and confused me; there were voices everywhere, footsteps, screams. ... I remained where I was, my face screwed up against the noise, as though it were a nightmare that would pass. . . .

Then a pair of hands seized me roughly and turned me over.

"Selena!!" My uncle's voice says.

I opened my eyes.

I was looking up at the starry sky and my grandfather and uncle are crouched over Harry and I The dark shadows of a crowd of people pressed in around us, pushing nearer; I felt the ground beneath my head reverberating with their footsteps.

I had come back to the edge of the maze. I could see the stands rising above me, the shapes of people moving in them, the stars above.

Harry let go of the cup, but he clutched Cedric to him even more tightly. He raised his free hand and seized Dumbledore's wrist, while Dumbledore's face swam in and out of focus.

"He's back," Harry whispered. "He's back. Voldemort."

Mum gasped as she came towards us and she looked to me for reassurance. I nod unable to speak.

"What's going on? What's happened?"

The face of Cornelius Fudge appeared upside down over Harry; it looked white, appalled.

"My God - Diggory!" it whispered. "Dumbledore - he's dead!"

The words were repeated, the shadowy figures pressing in on them gasped it to those around them . . . and then others shouted it - screeched it - into the night - "He's dead!" "He's dead!" "Cedric Diggory! Dead!"

"Harry, Selena let go of him," I heard Fudge's voice say, and I felt fingers trying to pry Harry and I from Cedric's limp body, but Harry and I wouldn't let him go. Then Dumbledore's face, which was still blurred and misted, came closer.

"Harry, you can't help him now. It's over. Let go."

"He wanted me to bring him back," Harry muttered - it seemed important to explain this. "He wanted me to bring him back to his parents. ..."

"That's right. Harry . . . just let go now. . . ."

grandfather got harry to his feet and then came over to me.

"Selena," he says gently stroking my hair. "You need to let go. You brought him back. that's important."

"Its my fault," I say. "If I hadn't got blasted back."

grandfather bent down, and with extraordinary strength for a man so old and thin, raised me from the ground and set -me on my feet. I swayed. my head is pounding and so is my wrist. My injured leg would no longer support my weight. My broken ribs are no longer making it hard for me to breathe right now but they are still hurting. The crowd around them jostled, fighting to get closer, pressing darkly in on us - "What's happened?" "What's wrong with them?" "Diggorys dead!"