Chapter 28: The pensive.

Chelbell2016:

Selena's POV:

The door of the office opened.

"Hello, Potter, Miss Dumbledore," said Moody. "Come in, then."

Harry and I walked inside. I had been in here a few times having been really close to my grandfather growing up. I glance around at all the portraits.

Cornelius Fudge was standing beside Dumbledore's desk, wearing his usual pinstriped cloak and holding his lime-green bowler hat.

"Harry! Selena!" said Fudge jovially, moving forward. "How are you?"

"Fine," Harry lied.

I don't answer wanting to be alone with the one person who could reassure me things would be okay.

"We were just talking about the night when Mr. Crouch turned up on the grounds," said Fudge. "It was you who found him, was it not?"

"Yes," said Harry. Then, feeling it was pointless to pretend that we hadn't overheard what they had been saying, he added, "I didn't see Madame Maxime anywhere, though, and she'd have a job hiding, wouldn't she?"

Dumbledore smiled at Harry behind Fudge's back, his eyes twinkling. He then smiles at me.

"Yes, well," said Fudge, looking embarrassed, "we're about to go for a short walk on the grounds, Harry, Selena if you'll excuse us ... perhaps if you just go back to your classes -"

"We wanted to talk to you. Professor," Harry said quickly, grandfather who gave us both a swift, searching look.

"Wait here for me, Harry, Selena," he said. "Our examination of the grounds will not take long."

They trooped out in silence past him and closed the door. After a minute or so, we heard the clunks of Moody's wooden leg growing fainter in the corridor below. I looked around.

"Hello, Fawkes," I say walking over to the bird and stroking its head.

Fawkes grandfather's phoenix, was standing on his golden perch beside the door.

The size of a swan, with magnificent scarlet-and-gold plumage, he swished his long tail and blinked benignly at Harry.

Harry and I sat down in chairs in front of grandfather's desk. For several minutes, we sat and watched the old headmasters and headmistresses snoozing in their frames, thinking about what we had just heard, and running hour fingers over our seperate scars. They had stopped hurting now.

I felt much calmer, somehow, now that I was in my grandfather's office, knowing we would shortly be telling him about the dream. Harry looked up at the walls behind the desk.

The patched and ragged Sorting Hat was standing on a shelf. A glass case next to it held a magnificent silver sword with large rubies set into the hilt, which Harry recognized as

the one Harry himself had pulled out of the Sorting Hat in his second year. The sword had once belonged to Godric Gryffindor, founder of our House.

He was gazing at it, remembering how it had come to his aid when he had thought all hope was lost, when he noticed a patch of silvery light, dancing and shimmering on the glass case. He looked around for the source of the light and saw a sliver of silver-white shining brightly from within a black cabinet behind him, whose door had not been closed properly. Harry hesitated, glanced at Fawkes and I, then got up, walked across the office, and pulled open the cabinet door. After a second I follow him.