Part 23

Different languages - Korean : English : Chinese : Thai : Japanese  

*****

I went off to pack, thoughts swirling in my head. On one hand, I was happy for this break on the other, it still seemed like a lot of work. It was a bittersweet deal with the opportunity to finally take a break while still working as hard as ever. I couldn't decide on the right emotion so I instead focused on the task at hand, packing my suitcase.

I didn't really have that many clothes. My sense of style was not great and I usually wore whatever the stylists had laid out for me. The only pieces in my wardrobe were denim shorts and shirts or practising clothes. Deciding that leggings weren't the fashion I imagined on a tropical island I picked out a few pairs of shorts and some random tops.

No doubt the stylists would be able to tell me what to wear. Still half in a trance, I packed everything I thought I would need and lugged my suitcase downstairs. As I hit the bottom of the stairs I came to the realisation that there might be other groups coming on the show.

Reaching the living room, I could hear my group mates discussing the same thing, who could be joining us?

Weighing the pros and cons in my head I decided that having other groups would be a good thing. Having more people would help in any challenges we were tasked to do and it would be easier to get away with not being funny. Having sunbaenims joining us would really make us feel more comfortable on our first real show.

"Ok everyone, I will explain a few things about the show," Our manager began, silencing our group discussion, "it will be on an island, you will be in teams and there will be other groups coming as well."

"Will all the groups be mixed together?" I asked, already thinking of who I would want on my team and who I would definitely not.

"Yes"

"Who are the other groups?" Da hee unnie questioned, the rest of the group listening intently.

"As this is quite a big variety show, there will be seven groups including you guys," manager unnie explained, "the groups that will be joining us on the show are BTS, EXO, Seventeen, Got7, Blackpink, Twice and of course you guys."

I stared at manager unnie in shock, my mouth hanging open. How did they get all of those huge groups? By the looks on my groupmates faces, they were thinking a similar thing. Having so many great people on the show will be difficult. It would be even harder to make an impact on the viewers. Before I knew it I had started to spiral in an endless hole of thoughts.

What if my fans didn't think I was funny?

What if the other groups didn't like us?

What if we went unnoticed within the huge group of amazing people?

Finally, after what seemed like an hour of silence, manager unnie stood up pulling me back out of my thoughts. She motioned for us to follow and walked straight out of the door where a black van was waiting to take us to the beginning point of the show. I continued to sit for a bit, processing the hordes of information I had just taken in until I realised none of my groupmates were getting up or even moving. Taking the opportunity I stood up and grabbed my bag and headed outside for a good seat in the van.

My movement seemed to snap everyone out of the trance they were in and they all slowly followed. Eventually, everyone made it out of the house with everything the needed, hopefully. Apparently, the island was just off the coast of a seaside town about 2 hours from Seoul which meant 2 whole hours in the van.

As we piled into the van, I took the seat with the most legroom whereas everyone else made straight for the back. At least 1o minutes passed by before we were able to sort out the seating situation with choosing the music taking even longer.

It was going to be a long ride.

*****

I spent the first hour of the trip listening to music and reading a book on my phone. That was great until my phone ran out of charge -I blame it on Eun sook unnie stealing the charger- and I actually had to take part in the conversation. I slowly took out my headphones, unwilling to jump straight into human interaction, and listened to what my groupmates were discussing.

"So what do you think of the other groups coming on the show?" Hyo rin unnie was asking.

"I am so excited!" Eun sook unnie exclaimed.

"I can't wait to see BTS again, they are so talented," Aiko unnie added.

"Well I can't wait to see EXO in action on a variety show, they have so much experience," Da hee unnie confessed.

"Unrelated to the show but I am super excited to hang out with Seventeen again," I said, joining the conversation, "they are so friendly."

"I am looking forward to Got7's hilarious jokes," Eun sook unnie put simply.

After everyone had expressed their thoughts on the other groups a comfortable silence fell over the group. A silence that lasted about 10 seconds before Eunsook unnie started laughing. The conversation started again and I closed my eyes to get a break from the moving scenery out the window. Before I knew it I had fallen asleep in my chair.