why do they hurt me?

♡maggie♡
age six

2002

Maggie had been living with her daddy for a month now, the little girl deciding already that she's doesn't like it. Her daddy was rarely around if he was then he was drunk and saying mean things to her. There have been a few times where he's been nice to her, but that's only when they go to places with a lot of cameras and people asking questions.

The questions are almost always about Maggie, there were even some directed toward her to answer. Just like her daddy had told her to do, Maggie would lie and tell them how much she loves her daddy and how much he loves her. Maggie knew that he doesn't love her, daddy doesn't even want her. Maggie was even pretty sure that he doesn't even like her calling him daddy, but what else would she call him?

Maggie had been watching a lot of TV lately, as she had nothing else to do other than the ballet lessons she asked to be put in. The little girl had been in ballet since she was three and it was one of the few things that she enjoyed. Of course, she had to ask by writing it down on a piece of paper, and Pepper was the one who answered. After Maggie met her daddy, he had told her that Pepper is to be like her mom, take care of Maggie and do anything else a mom does. She doesn't like Pepper though, she's not her mom and never will be.

A lot of the TV shows she watches have kids in them, kids with good parents. Maggie knew that her mommy and daddy are nothing like them, and by now she was beginning to wonder if they should've ever been parents. They're both monsters and they both hated her. Her momma only loved Maggie sometimes and her daddy never had at all.

Life isn't bad though, Maggie has everything she could want, things she never had when she lived with momma. She has more than two outfits now, and she is never hungry, and the TV isn't broken. Pepper is nice to Maggie, and her dads driver, Happy, is nice as well. He's the one who takes her to ballet, he had even babysat her one time.

The only person that Maggie didn't like was daddy's friend, Obidiah. He's a weirdo, and he gives her weird looks. She hates it when he's around, he tries to talk to her but she doesn't want to talk to him. Obidiah reminds Maggie of the men that momma brought home sometimes, and she hated those men. It's only worse that her daddy makes her call him Uncle Obie.

"Maggie!" Maggies head snaps from the TV, which she hadn't really been paying attention to, to Happy. An urgent look is on his face, and that's when she remembers that she has to be at ballet. "Hurry up, we're gonna be late!"

Happy led Maggie to his car and buckled her into her booster seat. She wished she could talk so that she could tell him that she doesn't need a booster seat, but she can't write him a message while he's driving since it's dangerous . Then she always forget to tell him when he's not driving, so for now she was stuck in this stupid thing.

When arriving at ballet class, Maggie waves Happy goodbye and goes inside the building. Shes one of the first girls there because of Happys fast driving, she had known she wouldn't be late. The first thing the girl did was head over to a bar and put her things down. Shes quick to slip on her ballet flats and then begin her stretches.

No one talks to Maggie during class, they stopped trying after the first few days. She never spoke back, even though she had wanted to, Maggie just couldn't. One time she had heard the other girls whisper about how weird she is. They thought it was weird that she wore a scarf during practice, and even weirder that she didn't talk. But Maggie knew it was best, because if they saw her neck they would really think she was weird.

The class was over quickly, and Maggie was excited to get into Happys car. He promised to get her ice cream after class today, so she was looking forward to it. When she exited the building, Maggie couldn't see his car anywhere. Instead, she saw Obidiah leaning against his car, waiting for her.

Slowly she walked to him, and when he saw the girl, a grin formed on his face. Maggie wished that Happy was here, she didn't like Obidiah at all.

"Hi Maggie, Happy was busy so he asked me to pick you up," Obidiah explains, opening the back car door for her. Maggie hops in, glad there isn't a booster seat, but upset that Obidiah buckled her in. When he climbs up front, he starts talking again. "But I'm still going to get you some ice cream."

By the time the car stopped, Maggie had already finished her ice cream and was happy to be home. Quickly her happiness faded when she saw that it wasn't her home. She quickly guessed that it was Obidiahs, which upset her even further.

"I hope you don't mind being here, I was asked to babysit you," Of course he had been asked, Maggie just hoped that he's never asked to do it again. She'd much rather deal with her daddy when he's drunk instead of Obidiah at all. "Come in, make yourself comfortable."

After walking inside, Maggie found her way to the couch and then began to look for the remote. Obidiah disappears somewhere, which she is glad for. It only takes a minute for her to find the remote and start watching TV.

"Alright Maggie," Obidiah is back, and Maggie wished he wasn't. The TV could babysit her, it wasn't like she'd want to do anything else, especially not with him. "I have a special treat for you since you're a good little girl."

Turning to look at Obidiah, she quickly began to wish she hadn't. Maggie couldn't do anything when he comes too close to her, far too close. She couldn't do anything to stop him.

Hours later, Pepper picks her bosses daughter up from Obidiahs house. She is quiet on the way home, she is always quiet. She felt sad, very sad. It felt wrong, what he did. It felt so wrong, Maggie felt wrong, what she did felt wrong.

She doesn't eat dinner that night, instead, she had ran up to her room. Tears streamed down her small face in a fast pace, and soon she doesn't know how to stop them. Maggie could only hope that the salty drops of water would cleanse of her of Obidiah.

Just in case the tears hadn't been enough, Maggie decided to take a shower and scrub at her skin. She'd rubbed her skin long and hard, especially at the area around her mouth. When the flesh became raw to the touch, she decided to stop.

Afterward, she had brushed her teeth until her gums were bleeding, hoping to get the taste of him out of her mouth. The harshness from the scrubbing and brushing had caused her almost healed lips to bust open again, which lead to them bleeding also.

When bad things happen, Maggie began to miss momma, so so much.