meaningless

♡mara♡
age nine

2005

The loud noise of pain caused the other animals to depart. Mara watched as her kill fell to the cold ground, a hard thump following. Her spear struck through the middle of the animals head, the placement of the spear killed it instantly, barely leaving enough time for the animal to feel pain.

No one spoke as they stared at the large dead animal, watching as the blood seeped into the thin blanket of snow beneath it. One of the weaker girls began to cry and Mara began to wonder if she should banish her to be by herself, only the weak cry. After all, Mara was the one who killed the animal, she was the one who deserved to cry. But Mara didn't, and she wouldn't.

Mara admitted she was unsure of how to approach the situation now, she wasn't an expert on hunting. She had never needed to hunt, and now she began to realize how spoiled she had been. She was always handed anything needed, and now here she was fighting to survive.

She worked with what she could, first she removed the spear from the animal. As it slid out from the hole it made a slick noise that almost made Mara wince, but the pieces of brain on it was the worst part.

Dropping the spear, she examined the animal. It had much more fur than the owl had feathers. Besides, it was easier to pluck feathers from the small animal than to remove the fur from such a large one. Mara would have to make do in order to survive, so she got to work.

  Using such a small rock to skin the animal was tedious work, but she couldn't stop. Even when her damaged fingers felt numb and useless, she went on. Blood was all over her, soaking her jackets sleeves and the front of her shirt. The smell was horrible but she did her best to hide the disgust she felt.

The other girls watched her, the bloody image of her terrifying them. Each girl remembered the other girls that Mara had killed, how easily she had done so. They were careful not to upset her during this time, scared that she would find them useless to her.

It was a long time before Mara had finished skinning the animal, it's corpse looking like something out of a nightmare. Standing up, she looked behind her to the other girls. Together they were all huddled, desperate for warmth. Why hadn't they started a fire? Had they expected to eat the animal raw.

Huffing, she stomped over to the pile of sticks and put them in the same spot the fire from last night had been. Mara would not ask them to do it, she would just do it herself. It was better that way, better relying on herself instead of others. She'd made that mistake too many times before.

It took a while to roast pieces of the animal, but it was worth it. The way the girls ate was almost animalistic, but Mara couldn't blame them. After such a long time with hunger pains it was hard to not want to eat as quickly as you could, Mara herself was having a hard time not just swallowing the food without chewing.

One of the girls puked once she finished eating, she had eaten too fast. Mara watched the girl with pity, she knew the girl would be first to die. Even if somehow they all survived, the girl was weak and would die at the academy. It was a miracle the girl hadn't died yet, that's how Mara saw it at least.

  When it became dark again everyone was quick to go to sleep, but not Mara. She wondered if she would survive this, even she wasn't strong enough to fight off illness if it struck her. How much longer would they be out there? Till they all mutated, or till at least a few did? And what would happen to the ones who didn't mutate, would it have been a waste? All of this struggling for nothing.

Mara hoped it wasn't for nothing, she hoped there would have been something meaningful to her death. Out here it would mean nothing and there would be no one to bury her body, let alone anyone to miss her. Her father wouldn't miss her, no, if he had the capability to miss her she wouldn't be at this academy. Mara had no one to miss her and no one to miss. She was alone.

Sorry for the short chapter, but it's the best I could do for it!