try hard

♡mara♡
age fourteen

2010

  Time had passed at a slow rate, Mara having nothing to do to pass it. There wasn't much to do in her room that still represented a child's room, unless she wanted to play with dolls. She was not interested in dolls.

At first she had done some ballet, practicing perfecting her form. Miss Sokolov often praised her on her form, but Mara still felt that she could do better. She could always do better.

After that all she had left to do was sleep, which didn't last long. Mara maybe slept four hours, a short time in comparison to the time she spent in the room. She would have left her room to do something else, anything else, but she would much rather be bored than see her father. Mara almost feared he'd try to hug her again, but then again yesterday was only a one time thing.

It was Pepper who saved her from her isolation, coming to her door and telling her it was time to eat breakfast. Mara followed her fathers boss down the stairs and to the kitchen area. The memory flashed of her breaking a tile in the room once, which is what ultimately led to Mara being shipped off to 'boarding school'.

There was almost a feeling of surprise to see her father eating at the kitchen island, a second plate sat out next to him. Instead of running from the room like she wanted to, she walked to the seat and sat down. A stack of pancakes stared up at Mara, the unholy amount of food covered in syrup. She wasn't supposed to eat sugar, that's why it was never served at the academy. But she did not deny the food and instead cut into it, taking a small bite.

"Do you like pancakes?" Tony wanted to try and have a conversation with his daughter, but the task seemed almost impossible. He'd never talked to Maggie, not in the way he should have. Asking her about pancakes seemed like an easy conversation starter, right?

Mara wasn't sure whether she should ignore or answer him, or even just give him a heart attack to make her own wish come true.

"No," She decided to answer, putting another piece of pancake in her mouth, not even bothering with looking at the man next to her. The thought of using her abilities on her father seemed tempting, but she knew not to use them unless needed.

"Oh?" Was his dumbfounded reply to Maras answer. Tony wasn't expecting such a blunt answer, it almost made him feel as if he should make her something else to eat. Mara ate the food anyway though, so he didn't offer. "Is there anything you want to do today?"

  "Go back to school," It was her instant answer, and it was true. The longer she stayed away the longer she had to deal with her father, and the more out of practice she became. It was almost obvious now that her father was determined to talk to her, something she wished wasn't happening.

"I was actually thinking that you stay home for summer break instead of spending it at the academy like you always do," Tony was nervous to tell Maggie this, not knowing how she'd react. Even if she tried to go against him, he was determined that she stayed. He needed her here, needed to know that she was alright.

Mara had to think about how she reacted to the situation. Would it look suspicious to right out deny him, or would it be a normal thing to throw a tantrum about wanting to leave? She hadn't thrown a tantrum since before she went to the academy, she wasn't going to start now.

  "I think that is something you should talk to Principal Sokolov about, I would also like to speak with her," It was the best decision to let her mentor decide. Perhaps she would like it if Mara stayed and fulfilled her original purpose of gathering information on her father. From the memories she had seen, her father was working on something big. Big enough to stick around for.

  "Okay, honey. We'll make that call later," The nickname had almost made her gag, why did he call her honey? He was definitely trying too hard. "We can watch a movie together if you'd like?"

"No thanks, I think I will spend the day by myself. Let me know when you are calling Miss Sokolov," Mara brushed her father off easily, standing from her seat and bringing the dish to the sink. She was starting to feel sick from all of the sugar, so she was going to go lay down and force her body to dispose of the sweet poison.

Not giving her father the time to think of an answer, Mara left the kitchen and went up to her room. It didn't take long for her to get her abilities to rid her body of the sugar, making her body use up most of the substance and making sure to digest it all.

Now all she had to worry about was the situation. She could be stuck here for far longer than she ever wanted to be, her only hope was Miss Sokolov telling her to come back. If she had to spend more than a week in this house she would probably go insane like her father.

Short but filling. What do you guys think about Tony trying to make up?

Also thank you for all of the support on the last chapter, I read all of the comments and appreciate all of the votes. I'd like to reply to them all but I feel as if saying thank you to everyone can get a bit repetitive!