beep beep beep

♡maggie♡
age six

2002
The beeping noise is what lets Maggie know that she's alive, along with the constant pain she was feeling. Something tells her that she should be scared but the place that holds her tightly won't let her feel fear, she is safe here. But where is here? It couldn't be real, real life isn't like this. Maggie knows that her physical self is in a hospital bed, but mentally she is elsewhere.

  Although she is unable to move, Maggie feels like she is everywhere. She is in the nursery with all of the crying newborns, she is in the emergency room where people are coming in horribly sick or dying. Maggie is everywhere, feeling everything, next to everyone. Shes never felt so overwhelmed, yet so peaceful at once. Most of the time she is overwhelmed, never at peace.

  Maggie is snapped from her multiple manifestations and brought back to being just her, alone in a room on a hospital bed. Normally it is quiet, besides the beeping in her left ear and the occasional nurse checking in on her. With her own ears, she can hear voices, the clicking of heels and then doors to her hospital room opening.

She instantly knew it was her regular nurse, Jillian. With her is another lady, one that had never been in the room before. They seem to be talking in whispers, but they speak louder when the door closes.

  "We haven't formally introduced ourselves yet, I'm Jillian. I've been Margot's assigned nurse for the past month," They are talking about her. She knows that, but she remembers that her momma calls her Maggie. Her brain seems to swell at the thought of her momma, causing a pain to course throughout her skull. Memories try to flash before Maggies eyes, but something pushes them away, not letting them through.

"I'm Margot's official social worker, Linda, I was assigned to her case a couple days after the incident and I've been doing some research on her to see if she has any other family," This Linda lady sounds very professional, but under everything, she feels kind, radiates kindness. Maggie wasn't quite sure what a social worker is though, all she knows so far is that Linda is hers. "All she has left is her father."

She becomes interested at the mention of her daddy, a man she doesn't remember but has met. Momma only ever told her that daddy is bad and that they left him when she was three. Maggie knew better than to ask about daddy anymore though, it always caused momma to cry.

"Well isn't that a good thing? A father is just what she needs right now," Jillian walks closer to the small girl, putting her hand on her forehead. The feeling is strange, as it is barely registering in the mind of Maggie that she is being touched, but she just knows that it's happening. "Her mother, Margaret is her name I think. That woman was crazy, I'm sure her father could beat her by a long shot."

"Her name is Margaret, and yes you would think that there is no one worse as a parent than that woman, and maybe you're right but her father is no good either. Anthony Stark, AKA Tony Stark, AKA weapon master, AKA the man accused of beating his wife who divorced him three years ago," There's a ruffling of papers after that, but Maggie is still very confused. What's a weapon master? What did daddy do wrong? "It wasn't even public that Margaret and Tony had a child, but it is on file and there's plenty of proof. But what this child needs is a loving father, not a life in the spotlight with a father who is never home, and who is possibly abusive."

"Well, I definitely can't disagree with you, but I can point some things out. They were only rumors that Tony hit his wife, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was uncovered that she lied. That woman is crazy, just look at what she did to her own daughter," There's a pause, then Jillian starts to run her fingers through Maggies tangly hair. "Maybe Tony has changed, and both him and Margot deserve a chance of a life together. If things go wrong, take her and put her in the system, but you need to at least try first."

"I guess it wouldn't hurt. I suppose I could have monthly checkups for a year and see how it goes, and if it's bad I can just put her into the system, away from her father," There's the sound of clicking on the ground, most likely from the Linda lady pacing around. Maggie can feel her pause, and the feeling of her eyes are on her. "When is she due to wake up?"

"A couple days, maybe more, maybe less. It's all up to her," Jillian gets up from Maggies side and walks away. "Let's let her be now, I'll contact you when she wakes up."

"Of course," There's no more noise after that, just silence. Just the beat of beep beep beep.