don't come back

♡maggie♡
age six

2002

  The weather had grown cold, seeping into the building. I shivered as I slept, I shivered as I did anything. As it grew colder I knew the time was growing closer for me to go home and see daddy. I hope he is happy to see me.

  The other girls watch me as I change into clothes I had brought from home, clothes I wasn't allowed to wear here. It felt weird to wear them, but I would grow used to them. I know I shouldn't though, because once I am back here then I will not be allowed to wear them.

For once in a long time I feel warm, the clothes I'm wearing provide more warmth than the regular leotard and shorts I wear. I only wish I had a coat, especially when I walked outside. It was snowing, the sun reflecting off of the bright substance right into my eyes.

  Squinting, I see a car parked in front of the gates. Looking up to Miss Sokolov for permission, she nods. Quickly I run down the steps, nearly slipping. The gates open as I grow closer to them and I grow more excited.

A man steps out of the drivers side and walks around to the side I'll be getting in on, opening the door for me and letting me in. Climbing into the seat, the door is shut behind me and my eyes land on daddy. His eyes are glued to some weird phone and he doesn't even glance at me which makes me sad. Isn't he happy to see me? It's been so long.

I buckle myself, then look back to daddy. I'm happy they didn't try to put me in a booster seat, I'm a big girl.

"Hi daddy," I say, a smile on my face. After so many months of being trapped inside that school, it felt nice to see my daddy. But daddy doesn't even look at me, making my smile drop. Did he not want to talk to me? If it made him happy then I wouldn't talk.

I didn't talk to daddy the whole car ride, I didn't even talk to him while we boarded the jet. Staying silent was almost easy, it was something I learned to do while I was at school. But there was so much I wanted to say to my daddy, I wanted to tell him I love him.

  Daddy spoke on a phone the whole plane ride, so I just colored in my coloring book. I hadn't colored in months, it wasn't allowed at the school. Nothing was really allowed at the school, nothing fun.

When we landed we had to take pictures together. There were a lot of paparazzi asking questions and taking multiple pictures at a time. Daddy had held my hand during all of this, smiling and posing for pictures.

Daddy even buckled me into my car seat, which got a lot of pictures. When he got into the car, the act dropped. Him and Happy started to talk, and I was happy to see Happy. But I was sad that daddy wouldn't talk to me, I wanted to cry. The tears never came, I couldn't let them.

  At home I was greeted by Pepper who made me dinner and tucked me into bed. Daddy had gone down to his lab, only saying a hi to Pepper.

Why didn't daddy want to talk to me? Doesn't he love me?

On New Years Pepper had taken me to go see fireworks at the beach, but daddy went to a party. I tried not to think about daddy as I watched the fireworks, I just smiled at the pretty lights.

  Sitting on the jet with daddy, he still hadn't spoken to me. I just looked out the window dreading going back to school. At the same time I was happy to go back, at least there I was good at something. I was good at the things they had us do. With daddy I was good at nothing.

"Maggie," Hearing him talk to me made me smile, and I turned to face him. "Your teacher told me something about a summer program, I think it's best you stay at school. You won't be coming home for summer break, and I think I'd like it if you didn't come back at all."

It hurt that daddy didn't want me. But I couldn't cry, so I didn't. I just nodded my head and looked away. I barely noticed the look of surprise on daddy's face, I was too focused on the hurt.

*

Hi guys! I've become overwhelmed with how many people are reading this book! I never expected it to get big. I feel I haven't done my best with writing this book but I still enjoy writing it.

I also realize that sometimes I can make Maggie seem a little mature for only being six but it's because I want to show that she's gone through a lot and understands more than normal kids do. I also envision her to have the same brain as her dad, so she's really smart. At the same time I try to show she still has naivety and thinks like a child still.

Also I'm not sure who to pair Maggie up with in the future. I definitely don't want to turn this series into a focus of romance, but I would like to have some. Her love interest definitely can't be Peter, he'd be too young for her. I was thinking Natasha, Steve or Bucky. Who do you guys think?