suit up

♡mara♡
age fourteen

2010

The drive was silent and stiff, but Maras mind felt far from silent. For years she had been trained to be strong, to not let her emotions get to her. Now here she sat, unable to keep her feelings in check.

Why were secrets so much easier? It had been easier when everything was a secret. Wasn't one person holding a burden meant to be heavier?

Watching Obidiah drive brought thoughts to her mind, murderous ones. How hard would it be to just cause a muscle spasm in his arm? Not hard at all. It would only take one little jerk and the car would be totaled, and perhaps Obidiahs life would come to an end.

He didn't deserve such a death. A car crash was too easy. In most cases, many died on impact. Obidiah did not deserve a quick death. Mara just would not allow it.

Even if the night played out how Obidiah wanted it to, such as Tony dying and him inheriting the company, he would still die. A slow and painful death at that. She would make sure the cancer left him bed ridden, unable to do anything but shit himself. Mara would make sure it lasted a long time before he was finally out of his pain and embarrassment.

Some days Mara wished to be out of her own pain. She felt pain. Everyday. Even at the academy, it was pain. It was hard to pinpoint where the pain was from, what caused it. Maybe it was everything, or maybe it was nothing. But she felt it.

Since living with her father, she had been able to experience it without hindrance. She was allowed to feel the pain here. That wasn't a good thing. Not when it drove her to the point of insanity, wanting to reopen the wound on neck, making sure this time that she would bleed out.

Some days she would make herself bleed just to heal herself instantly. It was odd and would cause punishment at the academy, but she did not care. Mara needed to feel something else other than the pain. Sometimes she just needed to feel. When the pain wasn't there, there was nothing. An empty void consumed her, worse than the pain that she felt.

The void was taking over by now, the pain that Obidiah caused earlier starting to subside. It was the void that was eating the pain. That's why she didn't care that her father was dying back in his home, no arc reactor in his chest to save him. It's why she didn't cut Obidiahs head off right then and there.

Mara knew it wasn't just the academy that had created the void, it had been her father. It had been her mother. It had been Obidiah. Each of them had contributed to who she was now, and she was not sure if she was happy with who she was now.

Obidiah stopped the car, obviously in a rush when he yanked Mara from it and dragging her behind him like she nothing more than just a kite. She wanted to bite his hand off, but slowly. She wanted to start with the fingers first, biting them off as easily as carrots one by one. Then she would use a dull blade to sever the hand from the arm. Mara would enjoy that.

Instead of feeding into her fantasies, she simply let herself be swung around like a doll. That's how she felt. Like a doll. She didn't feel anything now. Mara let her body be shaped and bended, not doing a thing to stop him.

Obidiah stuffed a rag in her mouth, then duct taped it shut. He tied her to a chair, then locked her in a closet. It was a bit extreme, and Mara could get out of it if she really wanted to, but she stayed. She'd let him do this to her, because she did not mind this. It was the other things he did that she minded. She would never let those things happen again.

There was some type of explosion, but Mara knew that whoever it was was too late. Obidiah was already in his suit that looked like the roided version of her fathers. It was nearly ready, and soon it would kill.

People were inside now. Agents with guns and Pepper with her high lever clearance that clearly wasn't high enough. It would do them no use, and Mara wasn't going to help them. Perhaps she should, but she wasn't exactly feeling up to it. Not really.

It was when she heard the scream of Pepper that she knew that things were happening. They'd spotted him now and there was no going back. For a while Mara listened to commotion, at some point figuring out that her father had somehow pulled through.

It wasn't surprising that he was alive. Tony was a stubborn man, and apparently too stubborn to die. Maybe Starks were too stubborn to die, considering Mara had come close many times herself. Now here she was, in another life threatening situation.

When the fighting on the roof began, that's when Mara knew she needed to move. It barely took any of her enhanced strength to break from the ties that bound her wrists and feet together. It was like ripping a piece of paper to her.

Getting out the closet had been the tricky part, but she had done it. By then, the shouting was getting louder and Mara realized she didn't have much time to get out of there. At least her father was smart enough to know this wasn't a fight he couldn't win.

Mara wasn't going to give up though. Not that easily. So when she saw the beat up suit just waiting to be worn, she crawled into it. It opened as easily as it shut due to whatever it had been hooked up to, but now the question was, would it hold up?

Everything changed when Pepper finally pushed the button has Maras father had told to do. Electricity shot out in all different directions, embracing the suit that held her and electrifying her body.

It wasn't a great feeling, and Mara was on the verge of passing out. If it weren't for her enhancements, she probably would have passed out just like Obidiah. It probably would have been best if she had.

Seconds later, Obidiah was falling to his death and maybe even Maras. The suit encasing his body landed in the core of the arc reactor, causing a far greater reaction than just over running it.

Maras last thoughts were well fuck. Then things went black.

I hope you all enjoy this chapter! I know it wasn't exactly what you wanted, but it's how things worked out! What do you guys think.

I think I will only be doing two more chapters... kind of exciting to finally be finishing my first book!

Also it's 2 in the morning and I literally just replied to one of your comments saying how I didn't have the inspiration write this chapter just yet. I guess I went into a frenzy immediately after.