Chapter 3

Merida walked on the streets with her hands on her coat's pockets. There's a hospital near the flat and they were open for newly graduated biochemists. She finished biochemistry just as her mother wanted her to. It was kind of fun, but it was not really what she wanted. She wanted to be a police bevause she thought catching bad guys was an amazing job. But of course, her mother told her that it was not a job for a fine lady such as Merida. She hated feeling that way. She hated feeling like she don't get to say how she runs her life. Merida groaned at the thought as she arrived at the hospital. The place was named Open Hospital and it was the weirdest name that she had ever heard of.

She went inside holding her files close to her chest. She went to the information desk and asked the nurse about the open job. The nurse asked her to follow her and led her to an office where a man in a white long-sleeved polo sat behind an organized desk. He shifted his glasses as the nurse entered with Merida trailing behind her.

"Hello, how may I help you?" He asked with a grentle smile.

"I'm here to apply for the job." Merida said.

The man nodded. "Please, have a seat." And Merida did.

"Let me see your papers." He said. Merida handed him her files and he read it one by one.

Merida fiddled with her coat as she waited for him to finish. Her mind suddenly drifted to the boy in her flat, Hiccup. She's trying to figure him out just like he did when her, but she couldn't. It somehow convinced her that he must have searched for her or he had asked Mrs. Gobber about her. She have never encountered a person who could do what Hiccup did. But if he did searched for her, why would he be interested in her? Nothing makes sense.

"You're in." The man said and offered Merida a handshake. Merida shook his hand and thanked him. Her mind drifted off that she was not able to listen what he had said.

"When will I start?" Merida asked.

"Tomorrow." He answered.

Merida nodded. "Sounds good." She took her files back and went outside. She sighed before smiling. So far, she's doing great. She just have to try and rest until tomorrow and forget about Hiccup.

She walked towards the exit, about to head out of the hospital when she saw Hiccup enter. Merida rolled her eyes. "Great, I tell myself to forget about the guy but here he is waltzing inside my workplace. Just great." She muttered to herself.

Hiccup's shaggy hair slightlt moved as he walked. He was wearing a coat and a green scarf. His hands were on his pockets and he nodded to the nurses around him. Merida had the urge to follow him and know where he was going, but she wanted to leave. She did not plan on bumping on to Hiccup. And didn't she just say to forget the guy?

As soon as she stepped out, she had the urge to run back in and find out where he went. She fought herself as she walked, constantly stopping to turn. She then stopped with a groan then headed back to the hospital to see where Hiccup must have went. He was not a fast walker because he kept strolling a bit so Merida saw him as soon as she took a turn.

He walked inside the a room casually like it was what he does to pass time. Merida followed him and read the sign on the door that says "Morgue". Of course Merida knew what it means. Dead bodies. What she doesn't know was the reason as to why Hiccup would go in.

Merida peeked at the door and saw him remove his coat. He was wearing a white long-sleeved polo and a black tie which surprised Merida because she had never seen him in different clothing other than the green pajamas he wore when he sneaked inside her flat. Surprisingly, Hiccup looked rather respectful in the polo.

Next to him was a blonde girl wearing a lab coat while holding a pen and a board on her side. She stood beside him and was talking to Hiccup like she knew him for a long time. Though Hiccup was looking at something, probably listening but focused on something else. Merida couldn't see what it was because the girl was covering it.

Then, Hiccup went over to a table and took a whip. That was when Merida saw what it was they were stansing near to. It was a body of a dead man. The blonde girl step aside as Hiccup examined the body. To Merida's surprise, he started hitting the body with the whip. She flinched at every hit, just like the blonde girl beside him. Merida had lost count, but Hiccup stopped eventually. Merida wanted to see more when a hand touched her shoulder. She almost screamed, but she stopped herself.

"I'm sorry to startle you, but do you work here?" A boy said. He was wearing nurse's outfit and his voice was calm.

"I...uhh..." Merida said. Technically, she works here. But it wasn't until tomorrow.

That's when the door flew open. She can feel a tall guy stood behind her. She closed her eyes, ready to be asked what she was doing here. The thought of him thinking that she was following him mortified her. But that was what she was doing, right? She was curious of him. Hiccup spoke behind her, telling the nurse that she was with him and to not worry because she will be working in ths hospital tomorrow anyway.

The nurse left and Merida turned slowly to face Hiccup. He was tall indeed taller than her. She stared at him for a while, waiting for her next move. No one did. Untik Merida realized the distance between them so she took a step back, not wanting anything of him touch her.

They stared for a moment when Hiccup spoke. "Aren't you coming in?"

"How did you know I'll be working here tomorrow?" Merida asked.

"You were looking for a place to work earlier, remember?" Hiccup said. "I just figured you would be looking for a job and you seem to look like you have been accepted for the job. A biochemist, eh?"

Merida rolled her eyes and turned to leave. But she wanted to know what he was up to.

"I'm trying to see if a dead body would still bruise if it's been whipped for a hundred times." Hiccup said as if reading what's on Merida's mind.

Merida turned back to face him with a questioning look. "Why would you want to know that?"

"For some reasons." He said with a wink.

He was insisting her to come inside, but Merida refused. She studies about life, not death. Merida walked away. This time, Hiccup did not speak to her. Instead, he went inside and took his coat as he told the girl inside, "Astrid, text me if something happened. Monitor the time."

With that, Hiccup jogged to catch up to Merida and they both left the hospital.