Chapter 20

Merida and Hiccup walked side by side on the pedestrian lane. Hiccup made Merida borrow his power bank so she could charge. Time passed until they reach the restaurant that Merida suggested. When they entered, warmth and the smell of butter and garlic welcomed them. It was a scent that made Merida's stomach growl.

"Is this those type of restaurants that sells buttered lobsters?" Hiccup asked as a waitress approached them.

"A table for two?" The waitress asked. Hiccup nodded. The waitress led them to their table.

Once seated, they took off their coat and placed it on the back rest of their chair. Hiccup took the menu and so did Merida. Hiccup choked on his own saliva.

"What?" Merida asked.

"Too expensive." Hiccup whispered.

"Got us covered." Merida said before waving her card.

Hiccup rolled his eyes. "I though your wallet was stolen."

"Yes, it is." Merida answered. "But I keep a card holder so it's separated from my actual cash."

Hiccup nodded and continued to scan the menu. When he decided to order the oysters, Merida proceeded with the lobster. A waiter scribbled their order on his paper before taking the menus.

"Oh, and a bottle of red wine, please." Hiccup said. The waiter nodded.

"I thought you're the type of person that prefers water over wine." Merida said before tying her hair in a bun. Hiccup watched as she worked.

She took her phone and scrolled through it. She showed the screen to Hiccup and said, "I've been here," she pointed on the screen, "here, here, here and here."

Merida retrieved her phone. "But no such luck. It seems like we have to keep searching."

Hiccup shrugged. "Seems like it."

As they waited for their food to arrive, Hiccup intertwined his fingers. He rested his elbow on the table while his intertwined fingers rested on his lips. He was thinking. Merida stared at him for a while, before deciding to ignore him to look around.

She noticed the fancy red wallpaper with patterns embedded with gold foils. She also noticed the two aquariums of lobsters that she guessed where they take the lobsters they are serving. The place was packed with people dating and friends hanging out.

Merida looked at Hiccup. His eyes were closed. She realised that it was only her and him; two of them in a fancy restaurant where a soft, romantic music plays on the background. Her cheeks grew red. She tried to steady her breathing and began scanning the place for a bathroom. When she found one, she tried to speak but her voice cracked. She cleared her throat and tried again.

"I'll just go to the bathroom." She told Hiccup. Hiccup opened his eyes slowly, his emerald green eyes staring at her. Her heart started beating faster. Hiccup nodded before closing his eyes again.

Merida took her phone, placing it on her pocket before rushing to the bathroom. Of course, the bathroom has its fancy features too—marbled counters, gold-colored faucet, and a bunch of red objects thrown around to compliment the minimal look of the bathroom.

She fanned herself as she stared at her own reflection. Her cheeks had grown red and her hair seemed messy. Merida placed a soft hand on her chest and felt her heart beating rapidly. She was falling for him and she was sure of it.

A thought came to Merida's mind, "Hiccup is a proper genius. He will notice it if my actions around him changes. I have to act as natural as I can."