Chapter 4

Author's Note: WARNING! This chapter contains blood and detailed words that might trigger people.
-------------------------

Merida couldn't shake the curiosity that she was feeling. She have no idea what was up with Hiccup or what was he up to. No one would think of hitting a dead man other than a person who have lost it.

"What do you do?" Merida asked him.

"For a living?" Hiccup asked as they walked back to the flat. "Not much."

She looked at him with a frown. He was hiding something, she was sure of it. They were walking as she stared at him, studying him. If he noticed, he didn't say anything. But as they walked, she instantly saw his eyes lit up. Curiously, Merida look up to see what he was looking at. Police tape surrounded a building while police cars parked outside. It looked like something recently happened. A robbery maybe? Or murder?

"The scene." He whispered. He instantly walked to the scene and Merida had to jog to catch up.

As they get closer, a lady held her palm out to halt Hiccup. She wore a police uniform and she held a walkie-talkie on her left hand. She looked like she was five years older than them, or less. Merida could not help but look at her with awe because this had been her dream, to be a police officer.

"Did Officer McGuffin asked for your help again?" She asked, eyeing Hiccup. She had to yell because of the loud noise near the place. They were building another house in the same block and it was really loud.

"Yes." Hiccup simply answered, not bothering if she had heard him or not. He reached out to the tape and pulled it over his head, but Merida stopped him.

"That's a police tape." Merida said. "You don't cross police tapes."

Hiccup looked at her and shrugged. He pulled it up and waited for Merida to cross. The policewoman spoke to her walkie, "The freak's here."

Then someone spoke from the other, "Let him in."

The lady looked at Hiccup. He gave her a smiled and waited for Merida to cross the tape. She sighed and walked over to him. He let go of the tape and he walked towards the building with his hands in the pockets of his coat.

Merida trailed behind him silently. She could see the hint of excitement on his face. She got even more curious about him when the officer that spoke to the policewoman earlier let him in the crime scene — which Merida knew that was only possible of you're a police officer yourself. He probably was.

She followed Hiccup inside. The place was gloomy like it was pulled out of a mystery movie. The living room was huge and was filled with operatives that search for clues. Merida used to watch people search for clues when she was young and she loved it. She got excited when she saw them work, but it quickly died out when they went upstairs and saw a guy and a girl — probably twins because they look alike — standing outside a bedroom door. As they got closer, Merida saw that they were studying a woman's dead body on the floor inside the room. Glass shards were scattered everywhere and a window was broken as if someone broke in.

Hiccup smiled. It was a real smile this time. Merida nudged him, giving him a stop-smiling look. He quickly stopped and turned to the men, his eyes still sparkling from excitement.

"Anyone went inside yet?" Hiccup asked.

"None yet." A girl with blond locks said. "There are no orders from Officer McGuffin yet."

"Who let you in here?" The guy asked.

"Officer McGuffin called me earlier." Hiccup answered.

He stepped inside just as when Merida realized what was happening. "You can't go in there!" Merida exclaimed. "Or are you allowed to?"