Chapter 23

In the middle of the night, Merida was awoken by the sound that she assumed was Hiccup. He was tossing and turning, probably because he was really uncomfortable. Merida went to check on him, he was sitting up now but she could clearly see his eyes still closed. Probably because he was still tired. Merida looked back to the bed and sighed. The bed looked wide enough to fit the both of them without touching each other.

She stood up and went over to Hiccup. "Hiccup." She whispered. Hiccup opened his eyes. He looked tired and sleepy.

"Come on, let's get you to bed." Merida said. Hiccup did not protest. He stood and walked over the bed and made himself instantly comfortable. He had occupied half of the bed, but Merida did not mind because she decided to sleep on the couch. Besides, Hiccup wouldn't notice. He was already sleeping like a rock, snoring like someone placed a horn in his throat.

Merida went over to the couch and made herself comfortable. She did not fit well, but enough to make her body sleep comfortably. And so she did.

***

The sun woke Merida up. She yawned and stretched and realized that she's back on the bed. Hiccup was not beside her so Merida went to the couch to check if his stubborn as decided to carry Merida back to the bed.

But he was not there also. As if on cue, the door opened. Hiccup was holding two paper bags. Merida could smell the bread inside.

"Breakfast." Hiccup said, placing his coat back to the rack.

"Did you carry me to bed last night?" Merida asked. "Did I just sleeo beside you?" She gasped and threw a sandal at him.

Hiccup dodged. "Hey!" He exclaimed. "You fell from the couch and I felt sorry for you. You fell face first."

"So did you lay beside me all night?" Merida asked.

"Partly."

"What do you mean by 'partly', you pervert!" Merida exclaimed.

Hiccup rolled his eyes as if he was tired. "I said I brought breakfast. Start eating because we'll leave early to check on the hospital."

With that, Merida's attention lit up. She couldn't risk other people lives. Although it was not her job to, but they were talking about lives here. Every life of a person is important. Speaking of job, she realized that she was not abke to fully attend her job yet. Merida groaned. She had wasted most of her life studying to be a biochemist just so she could run out of town with a weird self-proclaimed detective without getting paid.

"If you're worried about your job, I've got you covered. Besides, they are still fixing the lab after the incident." Hiccup said while holding a cup of coffee.

He took a sip and sighed. "I didn't know coffee tastes this good. I can drink a whole lot of this in one day."

After they've fixed their stuff and checked out of the hotel, they went straight to the hospital without any stop overs. It was not that far and Merida was anxious innthe whole ride. Who wouldn't be? She's risking her life for the sake of others. Why is she doing this anyway?

They arrived on the hospital and Hiccup went straight inside, forcing Merida to pay for the ride. When the taxi left, Merida examimed the building. It was not the same as it was at the photograph, but she knew that they are in the right place judging by the looks of the construction. There were a lot of colorful graffiti that were covering the walls and vines had already crawled its way inside.

When Merida went in, she saw Hiccup. He was not far because it's clear that Hiccup was examining the place bit by bit. Merida caught up to him and together, they walked to check the place.

There are a lot of doors. Merida peeked in one and could see the abandoned beds with burnt mattress and pillow. Merida continued walking. She heard Hiccup's gun click so she took hers to and loaded it with new bullets before cocking it. Together, they've reached the end of their first hallway, but nothing to be seen yet. Hiccup turned to Merida and they've both agreed to go upstairs and check.

Their footsteps echoed as they went up. Hiccup was in front Merida, but she was also careful to check behind her just in case someone would sneak up behind them. As they've reached the end of the series of wards, Hiccup stopped. Someone was tied to a chair.

"Merida," He called out to her before signing to keep quiet. Merida nodded.

They opened the ward and across them was a woman in a lab gown with blood. It seems to them that the woman was resting. She was tied on a bed post and unmoving. But Hiccup could tell who it was even with her bloody face. When the woman looked up, Merida recognized her too.

Hiccup went over to her. He took a folding knife from his pocket and tried cutting off the rope that tied Astrid on the post. She bolted up and whimpered, but when she saw it was him, Astrid started crying. Probably out of relief.

"You're going to be okay, Astrid." Hiccup said. "Kind of."

Astrid shrieked. Merida noticed that she was looking behind her. Merida turned, her gun pointed at the figure standing on the other side of the room.

"There's no need. I came unarmed." His curly hair swaying as he walked to the light. "See?" He pulled his hands up to reveal that he had brought no weapon with him.

Hiccup turned. His eyes burned with rage. "Ryan."

Ryan turned his eyes to Hiccup. "Like the new look?" He turned to show his look. He was wearing a suit that made him look like a business man.

"Ryan?" Merida asked. "But you're-"

"A shy guy that's so nice he wouldn't be able to kill?" Ryan asked, emphasizing the word 'kill' as he spoke. "Oh, please. I thought you're a smart girl. Judging by how Haddock had made you his partner so easily."

Merida's hands trembled. She looked at Astrid. She looked terrified. Her face was swollen and her body was full of red stains. Hiccup managed to free her. He stood calmly and smiled at Macintosh.

"I knew something was fishy with you." Hiccup said coldly, his hands on the pockets of his coat as if every was fine. But it's not.

Ryan did not even look at Hiccup. "You are so stupid to trust this psycopath." He pointed at Hiccup while he was looking st Merida.

"Psycopath? I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Ryan, do your research." Hiccup spat.

Ryan turned his eyes to Astrid. Merida sensed something exchange from their eyes. A non-verbal words that only both of them were capable to understand.

He walked over to her and touched her face. "Hi, Astrid." He said with a smile.

"Get your filthy hands off her!" Hiccup yelled, pushing him away.

Ryan laughed. The sound resonated, bouncing off every corners of the room. That's when a red dot pointed to Merida. Hiccup turned to look at her.

"Hiccup." She gasped.

-------------
Author's Note: I just finished typing this and I've decided to rewatch Sherlock to awoke my inner detective.

I hope this story not boring you. I have a lot stored in my pocket.

Share. Comment. Vote. Follow!

This is an unedited chapter. Please don't mind the typos, misspellings and grammatical errors.

kungfukick

Deduced | MericcupOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara