Chapter 22

Hiccup had to quickly think of a way to catch the man. If he climbs, he would be sued and will be put in to jail. But they wouldn't let them pass since it's a crime scene now. The only option was to talk to the police in charge.

While Hiccup was thinking, Merida did not remove her eyes from the building. She kept staring at the window though it seemed like it was empty. But the hair from her neck and limbs stood. She could feel a pair of eyes staring at her, looking past her soul even though she sees nothing. Her heart pounded so she decided to turn her attention to Hiccup instead.

He walked over to the police officer that seemed to be in charge. They were just about to enter the hotel when Hiccup stopped them. Merida groaned. She took a small glance at the window again and she swore she saw a silhouette of a person before she decided to follow Hiccup.

"Let us through." Hiccup said.

"No. You are unauthorized. Who are you anyway?" The officer asked in his grumpy voice.

"We're accomodating one of the rooms there tonight." Hiccup said.

"I'm sorry, sir, but there's been a shooting and it'll be safe if you stay out here for a while." The police officer said.

Hiccup quickly thougjt of an alibi. He pulled Merida closer to him, holding on to her sholder. "Our daughter is inside and I bet she's really frightened now."

At that moment, Merida's heart raced. She inhaled sharply and went with it. "Please, sir. Our little angel must be terrified by now."

The police officer nodded and called for the police that was standing on the other side of the police tape. "He will escort you to your room."

They both nodded and went inside. Merida could feel her heart beating. She was starting to panic that Hiccuo might hear it even though the sirens were loud. Still, she couldn't risk feeling embarassed when Hiccup assumes that she likes him.

When they finally reached their room, the officer said, "I hope she's okay."

"Thank you, officer." Hiccup said with a smile. "Thank you for escorting us here."

The officer nodded and left. Merida and Hiccup waited for him to leave before they ran to the room that they were planning to go to.

They hurriedly sprinted towards the elevator, punching the button of the floor. They waited. Hiccup could feel himself sweat. He looked around the elevator. A camera was placed on the upper left corner so he decided to leave his gun unloaded in his coat.

When the elevator opened, they were surprised to see no one. Not a single person or even a police was stationed to the floor. Hiccup thought maybe they were in the wrong floor, but when he checked it was not incorrect. Maybe he was wrong. Maybe the window was only open because there's someone sleeping on it. But Hiccup was never wrong. The scene frustrates him.

Hiccup looked at the doors and went to where they saw the window open. They stopped and stood quietly on the door. Hiccup cocked his gun and Merida reached for hers. Hiccup did not hesitate to open the door so fast and quickly pointed the gun to an empty room. Merida slowly lowered her gun, but Hiccup decided to hold it still.

The room was quiet. Hiccup went inside first. He was scanning the room. "Who are you?" He asked. But no one answered. He then accidentally stepped on a pool of blood. Even in the darkness, its pungent smell can clearly tell what it was. It was leading to the bathroom. Hiccup looked at Merida. She held a flashlight and was scanning the surroundings.

Hiccup decided to open the door to see an old man tied to a chair. The wound on his head was still bleeding. Hiccup flicked the lights on and noticed something carved on the skin.

"I'm getting bored."

Merida followed Hiccup. She thought she could handle it but truth be told, she was still surprised. She had let out a soft gasp which made Hiccup turn. "What did you find?" He asked.

"A photograph." Merida said, turning her eyes to Hiccup. "We must go back to our room, Hiccup. We'll talk."

And so they did. They did it unnoticed because people were already back in their rooms. When they got in, Merida showed Hiccup her discovery. It was like a class picture wearing white lab gowns in front of a hospital. The man looked young it the photo, but it was clearly him.

"A hospital." Hiccup said. "That hospital had been abandoned for years because of a fire. It had burned down forteen years ago and was never rebuilt because of bankrupcy."

"Do you really know every thing?" Merida asked.

"I believe I do." Hiccup said. "We'll go there first thing in the morning."

"Why not now?" Merida asked.

"It can wait." Hiccuo said, alreadt settling himself back to the couch.

Merida went over to him and exclaimed, "What if the murderer kills at the moment we sleep?"

"Then, another clue!" Hiccup said which made Merida gasp out of disgust. He looked at her like she was pathetic. "Aw come one, Merida! He wouldn't kill at this hour. He would not kill randomly nor give away more than one clue in just one night. Rest."

She was ready to protest, but Hiccup turned his back to her. Merida rolled her eyes and decided to go back to the bed. She went over to the window and locked it shut before going back to bed. She hadn't realized how tired she was until she was able to feel the bed's softness. With that, she had fell asleep instantly.

-----------------

Author's Note: Someone commented on this story and I was very happy that she's/he's enjoying it. The reason why I was out for a while is because I forgot what my plot was. So I took my time this whole day to reread my work until I remember. And I did. So here's another update. Sorry it took a while. I hope you're still reading!!!

I'll make sure that I finish this story.

KungFuKick