Chapter 11

Merida walked around the street, muttering to herself. She wore her coat and a red scarf as she try so hard to look for a place to eat. Then she remembered Mr. Gobber's place. She quickly tried to find it, her stomach screaming for food.

When she saw it, she hurriedly went to it. Warmth embraced her once she had opened the door. The place was not packed with people so it was a good place to relax. Merida sat near the glassed window. When Mr. Gobber saw him, he walked over to her with a big smile on his face.

"Hello, dear." He said. "Where's Hiccup?"

"He's at his flat." Merida answered with a smile.

Mr. Gobber handed her the menu. He sat across Merida as she was browsing through the menu.

"You know, I've been with that kid since he was little." Mr. Gobber said. "And since then, I really don't know how his mind works."

Merida set down the menu. She laughed. "I've been with him for two days and he's already driving me insane. It surprises me that you still let that guy stay in your flat." Merida said.

"Of course we still let him in." Mr. Gobber said. "Their family is a friend of mine! He also helped me with a case once."

"What's the case about?" Merida asked. "Not being nosy and all. Just curious."

"Isn't that how being nosy works?" Mr. Gobber asked. "But never mind. I don't really mind sharing the story."

Merida leaned in, eager to hear his story. Mr. Gobber cleared his throat and began speaking. It turns out that his son had been murdered when the was sixteen. Everyone kept telling Mr. and Mrs. Gobber that their son killed himself. But they refused to believe that. Their son was a happy kid and there were no signs of him being bullied or being depressed. So Mr. and Mrs. Gobber decided to ask the Haddock family. Stoik—Hiccup's dad—was a police officer and Valka—Hiccup's mom—was a detective. They tried to find clues, but it leads them to nowhere.

One day, they decided to bring Hiccup with them. Mr. Gobber said that he was ten that time and no one will be at home to take care of him so his parents decided to bring him in. They left him on the living room, afraid that he might freak out if he saw Mr. Gobber's son dead in his room. But Hiccup was a curious kid. He looked around the house—outside and inside. Then he went inside the crime scene. Mr. Gobber said that on that day, Hiccup had said two words, "He was murdered."

"Uhm." Merida said. "That was three words, Mr. Gobber."

"It is?" Mr. Gobber asked and began counting. When he realized his mistake, he said, "Oh, my bad."

He continued his story. "Of course his parents was shocked and they went to push him out, but he continued speaking."

"Mr. Gobber, your son was murdered!" Young Hiccup exclaimed.

"Hiccup, dear," his mother said. "Please stay outside. You're not aloud in here."

"There were footsteps outside." Hiccup said. "It leads to his window. If you look closely to the window sill, you'll see signs of mud. The gun on his hand was at the wrong direction, Mr. Gobber. He's left handed. You should know that."

Mr. Gobber thought for a moment. Indeed his son was left handed.

"Judging by the look of his arms, it won't be easy for him to pull the slide back. And the splatter of blood on the wall was on another direction. It was a little bit on the left, but his head was facing right. If he had shot the gun himself, his face will point directly to where the splatter is."

His parents were in awe and so were Mr. and Mrs. Haddock. Hiccup went over to the gun and examined it, his parents did not stop him.

"There was a silencer on the gun. You'll see the scratches on the muzzle. The killer did not want anyone to know that he was being murdered so they used a silencer in order to reduce the sound when the trigger was pulled. If he really did killed himself, he wouldn't care if it will produce a loud sound."

"His parents were shocked by his deductions." Mr. Gobber said as he stared at Merida. "We won the case after that and found out that he had a fight with a man trying to steal his bike. Maybe he fought back so the man got angry and decided to follow and kill him."

Merida sat silently. She doesn't feel hungry anymore. "Did they caught the murderer?" She asked.

"They did." Mr. Gobber said. "All thanks to Hiccup. It was a really shallow reason to kill someone, don't you think?"

"Unless the murderer a serial killer." A man about Merida's age said behind Mr. Gobber. Merida did not notice him there until he spoke.

He instantly realized that he just spoke. He quickly covered his mouth and began to say sorry. "I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean to eavesdrop. I-I was just passing by."

"No problem, kiddo." Mr. Gobber said. "It's been a long time."

Mr. Gobber stood and Merida took her order. She looked over at the man who spoke. His hair was curly and was reaching his ears. He stared back at Merida and smiled.

"Hello." He said. "I-I'm Ryan. I'm sorry for eavesdropping."

"Mr. Gobber said it's okay." Merida said. "Please, have a sit."

He sat across Merida with a shy smile. "I'm Merida."

"Dun Broch?" He asked. Merida gasped.

"How did you know?" Merida asked with a surprised look.

He rubbed his hand on the of his neck and said, "I work in the hospital you're working in. I'm a biochemist like you."

"Really?" Merida asked with a smile. "Why didn't I see you around?"

"Because I just finished my research when you arrived. The guy who accepted me in the job told me that Merida Dun Broch will use the lab after me." He said.

"What's your name?" Merida asked.

The guy laughed. "I-I just told you."

"No, no. I meant your full name. What'd your full name?" Merida asked again.

"Oh, I-I'm Ryan Macintosh."

——————
Author's Note: And there we have the end of Deduced. JUST KIDDING! hahahahahahah. I'm trying to update as fast as I can because I'm afraid that once school comes, I won't be as active as I am today.

Please tell me if you spot mistakes or confusing scenes so I can edit them. :>

kungfukick