Chapter 21

Though the screen flashed an unknown number, Merida recognized it. It was the same number that called her on the fancy restaurant.

"The same number." Merida whispered.

Hiccup stood so quickly that Merida did not register what happened. He took Merida's phone and stared at the number. Slowly, he punched the answer button before putting the phone on his ear.

There was white noises on the other line. Hiccup can hear someone breathing. It was a ragged breath, like the person on the other line was having a panic attack.

"Who are you?" Hiccup asked calmly.

"He's getting impatient." It was a voice of a man.  He was breathing heavily. "You are taking too long."

Hiccup waited for something else. He could hear another voice from the line, but he couldn't register the words. It was like the other person was dictating the sentences that the man would say.

"Y-you are dumber t-than I expected y-you t-to be." The man continued. "F-faster, before t-time runs out."

But as Hiccup thought it was over, the man yelled, "He's here at the hotel! He's going to kill! You've deduced the cipher corre-" The man was not able to finish what he was saying. THere was a gunshot before the line dropped. It was indeed in the hotel. Hiccup and Merida rushed outside on their pajamas. Others who stayed their night on the hotel also opened their doors to check what happened.

Staffs of the hotel arrived on the floor to calm people down. Questions flooded the floor. It was packed with people, but Hiccup and Merida managed to push people to get to the staff.

"Where did the gunshot happen?" Hiccup asked, not wasting any time.

"Sir, go back to your room. The police will be here soon." The lady wearing the hotel uniform said.

"We're detectives. We need to know where this gunshot happened." Hiccup said.

The lady stared at both of them in their pajamas. "I can't let you go unless you were sent here to investigate. Now sir, go back to your room." The lady said.

Hiccup looked at the lady's name tag. "Listen, Edith, I don't care if you get fired for letting us know what room it happened. This is an emergency!"

"I can't, sir." The lady said. She seemed like she was getting irritated. "Get inside or I'll be forced to say you're eager to escape because you're part of the shooting."

With that, Hiccup went inside their room and so did Merida. He slammed the door shut before sitting on the bed. Merida sat on the other side. She sighed.

"What should we do? We're running out of time! An innocent man was killed just because some psychopath is playing a game of murder! We can't let this happen to other innocent people! Who knows who he'll kill next?"

"Shut up." Hiccup said. He stood and began pacing with his hands clasped together, placed under his chin. "I'm thinking."

He walked back and forth for a short second before turning to the window. He ran to it before he opened the curtains and pushed the window open. He peaked his head over the window sill and scanned the surroundings. Merida silently prayed that he was not thinking the dangerous thought that just occurred to her.

"What's your plan?" Merida asked.

"We need to leave this building." Hiccup said. "It's not that high."

Merida went over to take a peak for herself. Sure it was high. She scanned the surroundings herself and saw the only place they'd be able to jump to are the series of balconies, a window far from them.

"I'm with you here, but I didn't sign up for this." She breathed. "There is no way I'd climb over there and jump to those."

Hiccup went over to take his coat before climbing on the window sill. Out of Merida's reflexes, she held to his arm firmly.

"What do you think you're doing?" Merida asked, her eyes wide.

"I'm supposed to be climbing, but you're holding on to my arm." Hiccup said. "Now, let's go."

He yanked his arm off Merida's grip and began to slowly climb to another people's balcony. Once he reached the balcony, he hoisted himself up to the concrete as he took a peak below him. He waved over to Merida, gesturing her to follow.

Merida rolled her eyes. "I did not sign up for a death wish." She went over to her coat and wore it before climbing to follow Hiccup who's swinging himself down to another balcony.

"If I ever fall off here, tell my parents I never regretted leaving the house." Merida called to Hiccup whilst mimicking the swings that Hiccup did bring himself down.

They climbed for a while until Hiccup landed on his feet followed by Merida. They stood there for a moment, taking the scene. Police cars finally surrounded the building. Luckily, they were not spotted or they'll probably be the suspect here. Police tapes were put up and a lot of people had circled the place to see what's happening.

Hiccup and Merida walked casually around the building. At first glance, they saw nothing. But Hiccup double-looked when he saw a window opened with closed lights and a fluttering curtain. He looked harder. Merida stopped searching and saw the window that Hiccup was staring at. Then a swift movement of a black figure caught Hiccup's eye.

"What room is that?" Hiccup asked.

"I don't really know." Merida said.

"I'm not asking you, I'm asking me." He started counting with his eyes before taking a deep breath. "Let's check room G3."

-------------------------------------

Author's Note: What is up my lovely readers??? Sorry for this lame update that I've been working on for a while. The reason why it took so long was because I've forgotten my original plot. AHAHAHA laugh at me for being forgetful. Still, I hope you're liking the book so far! If I've missed some details, notify me so I'll be able to fix it. 

And did you read my announcement? I'm opening a cover book. Feel free to check my conversations and read the details!

Kungfukick