Chapter 13

The piercing scream of a woman made Merida grab Hiccup's arm.

"What was that?" Merida asked. She looked over at Hiccup and realised that she was holding his arm. She let go, clearing her throat.

Hiccup went over to where the scream was heard, leaving the cart behind. Merida thought about taking the cart with her, but she doubted she'd be able to fit through the people gathering around the source of the scream. She left the cart and jogged towards Hiccup. It was easy to find him because he was tall and his scarf was green—which popped from the crowd.

People gathered around an open door that said "Cleaning Supplies". Merida had reached Hiccup easily because he was slowed down by the people blocking his path. Merida tried to look over, but she wasn't as tall Hiccup. He just stood there, staring like he was already deducing the reason why the poor woman had screamed.

"Let us through." He said calmly. "We're detectives."

When the people parted, Merida was able to see a woman wearing a tight uniform that every staff wore. She was crying and shaking as she stared at the dead woman's body on the floor of the opened room.

"Since when did I become a detective?" Merida whispered to Hiccup.

"Since you agreed to join me in my recent cases." Hiccup answered. He went over to the dead body and examined it.

"Should I check the room?" Merida asked, looking around at the room filled with cleaning supplies.

Hiccup nodded and she began. She had dreamed of becoming a detective. She didn't know it would happen after leaving her house and finding herself a flat just beside a "high-functioning sociopath".

The room wasn't big, but it was like the size of a kitchen. There were a bunch of mops on one corner, vacuums, pails and a bunch of cleaning chemicals. She looked over at Hiccup to see his progress. He was still looking, searching for the cause of death.

"There's nothing suspicious here." Merida said.

"Keep looking." Hiccup said. He took a vial and a cotton swab from his pocket. A question of how Hiccup had brought vials in his pocket popped in Merida's head. She stared at him as he opened the woman's mouth and used the cotton swab to take her saliva. He placed it inside the empty vial, closing it and putting it inside his pocket. He looked over at Merida and sighed.

He went over to her and and patted her on her back. He handed her the vial and said, "Examine it. We'll head over to the hospital after this. The police would be here any minute."

Merida took the vial and placed it inside her pocket. She watched as Hiccup take stuff and put it back to its place after he stare at it for a while.

He then went over to a corner and and picked up something. He held it between his thumb and forefinger, examining it. He showed it to Merida.

"What do you think?" He asked. It was a small glass bottle where you store small amount of medicine to take with you.

"It's a glass bottle." Merida answered.

"She's taking medication." Hiccup said.

The police arrived. Officer McGuffin went over to Hiccup as one of his officer put on the police tape.

"What are you doing here?" He asked.

"Cracking the case." Hiccup answered casually.

"How did you get here?" He asked. "You're not allowed in here, Haddock."

Hiccup rolled his eyes. "You'll reach over to me eventually, Officer McGuffin. I just happen to get here first because Merida and I were shopping. And now that I've taken what I needed, I'll be off. I will just inform you what I've deduced, good bye."