Chapter 15

When Merida woke up the next day, she can hear someone on the kitchen. She covered her ears with her pillow. It was probably Maudie cooking. But then, Merida's exhaustion vanished when she realised that she was in her flat. She instantly sat up. There was only one person who could get in her flat. She groaned and went for the door.

She opened the door and walked to the kitchen to see Hiccup's back facing her. Burnt scrambled eggs were laid every where. Merida tried to calm herself.

"Why are you here, Hiccup?" She asked calmly.

Hiccup turned. He gave her a smile, but it instantly turned to a frown when he saw her look mad still. "I-I'm sorry. I want to apologise for what I've said last night. I'm here to cook you breakfast, but I don't know how. Mrs. Gobber's been making me breakfast so I don't really know how to-"

Merida sighed. "You don't have to do that, Hiccup. I understand you don't want me or Ryan with you. Now go and leave me alone." She turned and went to the couch. She sat, letting out a sigh.

Hiccup slowly went over to her, removing his apron. He sighed. He looked really sorry for what he have done. "I usually work alone, but there's this feeling that I want you to join me and solve cases with me. The moment I saw you, I feel like you're an intelligent young lady that can help me solve cases."

"Wow. Hiccup is straight forward." Merida thought. If this was how he saw he likes her, it's cute. But still, she didn't want to assume. Merida stayed quiet.

"I'm really sorry, Merida." Hiccup said. "Please, I want to continue solving murders with you."

Merida stared at him. He looked sincere. "Alright." Merida said. Hiccup's face instantly lit up. He was about to hug Merida, but she stood and walked away.

"I'll go take a bath. We'll talk about the fibres later." Merida said.

Hiccup nodded. He sat on the couch silently. Merida took her towel and gave Hiccup a stare.

"Don't even think about coming in the bathroom, or I'll throw at you every object I see." Merida said. That made Hiccup laugh. But he nodded.

When Merida finished bathing, she took her coat and so did Hiccup. They went outside to get breakfast because Hiccup's scrambled eggs were all burnt and Merida was not in the mood to cook. They went to Mr. Gobber's restaurant and went to the same spot the first time they ate there.

Mr. Gobber saw them and gave them the usual greeting. He gave them menus before he sat with them.

"Look at you too." He said. "You'd be a great couple."

"We've talked about this, Mr. Gobber." Hiccup said without taking his eyes on the menu.

Mr. Gobber laughed, patting Hiccup's shoulder. "I was kidding." He said. "Well, I'll leave you two lovebirds and I'd be at the kitchen."

He left and Hiccup looked up to Merida. Merida looked up to him, their eyes meeting. Merida smiled. Hiccup did too. They went for the waffles and sat there to wait.

"So, you've read my note." Merida said.

"Yes. It was very helpful. I sent the body to Astrid and we opened his body. We saw a paper. Maybe the killer put it there or he had forced the victim to swallow." He said. He took a plastic from his coat and handed it to Merida. It was a thick paper, spread out to be read.

Merida read it to Hiccup. "'Do you like the first level of the game?' The person who went to my flat may be the one who killed this woman."

Hiccup nodded. "It was obvious, Merida. I don't know what he wants-"

"A man?" Merida asked.

"We use 'he' as a pronoun if we don't know the gender of a person, right?" Hiccup said. "It was a guess, Merida. A guess."

"Okay,okay. Chill out." Merida said and waited for Hiccup's further explanations.

"I don't think this is his first victim." He said. "We must find the killer as soon as possible."

"How?" Merida asked. "He leaves no traces of him. If this person is an amateur, it would be easy like your past cases. But I fell like this one had been killing like he had done it several times. It was clean."

Hiccup intertwined his fingers, placing them under his chin. He was thinking for a while. The waffles arrived and Merida started eating.

When Hiccup took his fork and ripped a small portion from the waffle, he said, "We must wait for his other victims. There must be something. A pattern or a code. We must always keep our mind open so we can crack his codes as soon as we find it."

"But Hiccup," Merida said. "He will continue to kill. Innocent people will lose their lives just because a psychopath decided to play a game."

"That's why we must hurry."
—————-
Author's Note: Hello! Sorry for this short chapter! I was in a writer's slump for a while, but I'm all fine now! Yaaaay!

What do you think about this book so far?

Be sure you leave a vote and comments and follow me!

kungfuckick