Chapter 19

The cold air pricked Merida's skin, but she cannot slow down. If she did, she might lose Hiccup. He dashed towards a street, turning to left, then right until they reached their first hospital.

It looks new. Nothing looks weird. Merida panted as they halt to a stop. Hiccup's breathing was fast, but if he's tired, he showed no signs of it.

"Do you think they're here?" Merida asked between her breaths.

"We'll see." Hiccup answered.

Hiccup walked inside followed by Merida. The hospital was busy. Nothing looked suspicious. Patients that are waiting to be called sat on the seats provided for them. Nurses went in and out of doors, holding clipboard and papers.

Nothing looked suspicious. But Hiccup went straight to a door. Merida followed, but Hiccup stopped her.

"Check the other rooms. If you see something suspicious, scream." Hiccup said.

"Are you serious?" Merida asked, surprised. "Can't I just text your or something?"

"I'd prefer you scream so it'll alert everyone." Hiccup said before he lightly  pushed Merida to the door.

Merida groaned. She took one last look at the door before she walked over to another. There were small windows attached on the door which made it easier for her to look. If there were extra doors inside, she would check it out and leave if nothing was suspicious.

Nurses and patients pass by her, but they didn't care. Maybe they thought she was just visiting. She went over to another door, then another, then another, then another, until she realized that nothing weird was going on in there. She took her phone and texted Hiccup.

Nothing suspicious. Let's leave.

Merida sent the text before shoving it back to her pocket. She walked back outside and met Hiccup. His hands were on his pockets and his face looked bored as ever.

"What's up?" Merida asked as they walked to the next hospital.

"This is really boring." Hiccup said. "There are no clues! What kind of a mystery is this? It's like a riddle. I hate riddles."

"Maybe you've deduced the letters wrong." Merida said.

Hiccup groaned in frustration, but preceded to check his phone for the letters. "I've deduced it correctly. I'm sure of it. The murderer texted me a poem, it must be because we're on the right track."

"There are like twenty hospitals here, Hiccup. It's either you deduced the letters wrong or we really should look at those twenty hospitals." Merida said.

"Then you better keep your mouth shut and let's look at every hospitals." Hiccup said. "We have to split. You've got your gun?"

Merida patted her coat to feel the heavy gun on her pocket. She nodded at Hiccup. Hiccup took his phone and waved it in front of Merida.

"We'll be splitting and our connection is our phone. Call me when you see something weird, okay?" Hiccup instructed.

"And call me when you see something weird. I have a feeling that you'll deduce the case and I'll end up searching in every hospital without even knowing that you've cracked the case." Merida said, her arms crossed on her chest.

Hiccup smiled. "That can happen."

"Aw c'mon!" Merida exclaimed. "You dragged me here-"

Hiccup stopped Merida by placing a finger on her lips. The contact made Merida shiver. She took a breath before swatting his finger off her lips.