Chapter 5

Merida and Hiccup rode silently to the company that the victim had been working in. Questions swarmed on her head. Who is he really? Why would they let him inside if he's not a detective or a police officer? How was he able to tell what the woman's traits just by looking at her room?

"You have questions." Hiccup said. Merida was starting to think that he can also read minds, but she did not mention it.

"Yeah," Merida said, ready to shower Hiccup with questions. "What do you really do?"

"What do you think?" He asked her back.

"I'd say a private detective, but police officers don't go to private detectives for help." Merida said.

Hiccup nodded. "That's right. I'm a consulting detective. And I'm the only one."

"How are you doing it?" She asked.

"Doing what?"

"Deductions. How?" Merida said.

Hiccup sighed as he stared at her. "I just do it. You should try too."

Merida groaned and went back to looking at the window. She could not shower her with questions after all because of how annoying he answers. But then, she realized she didn't know why she followed him. Maybe it was because she felt pity. Ruffnut said that he has no friends. Maybe he needs one and it could be her. Maybe he was just misunderstood. But who was she kidding? He was indeed a weird guy. The thought of him breaking an entering on her flat was enough to make her realize that he could be someone that she should not trust. But weirdly enough, she did not feel fear. Just annoyance because he really was annoying.

"Why did you follow me?" Hiccup said. "You're curious, aren't you? You are interested in these too."

That made Merida laugh. "Maybe more curious than you are."

He just shrugged and silence filled the cab once again. The driver took a turn and stopped at the enormous building. They both left the cab and went straight inside the building. Hiccup showed an ID at the lady on the information table. An ID of what? Merida had no idea. Probably a fake one that says he was a real detective.

"News must have gotten here already. One of your businesswomen had been killed earlier." He said. "I'm here to investigate."

"I'm sorry sir, you can't just get inside." She said. "You need an appointment."

Hiccup was aghast. "An appointment? This is a serious matter."

"I'm sorry, sir. I really can't let you-"

Hiccup hit the table with force it made Merida jump. People stopped on their tracks to look at the commotion that Hiccup started.

"I said, one of your businesswomen had been killed and I need to investigate." He yelled. "Call Daniel Brook or I'll make a scene. I need to go talk to him."

Merida felt embarrassed she was tempted to turn around and forget about the case. She wanted to go home and pretend she did not know him. But she stayed on her ground until a woman in a tight suit arrived. Her brunette hair was tied in a tight bun. She wore black stockings and black heels that clicked as she walked.

Hiccup stared at her. He smiled a manic smile. "Hello. You must be Daniel's secretary."

The woman shook her head. "I am the victim's secretary. What brings you here, Mr. Haddock?"

"You know me." Hiccup said.

Haddock? Merida thought. Must be his last name.

"I've been reading your blog. The Science of Deduction. I love it." She said. "It was really interesting how you-"