3

Annabeth's POV

Percy clenches his hands in fists, "I will not be your tour guide."

I smile humourlessly, "Well, I guess I will send you on your way, without your precious crown..."

Percy's eyes widen, "No! Alright, alright, I'll do it." He grumbles the last part, "Deal."

My face breaks into a gleeful grin, "Perfect, let me just grab a bag." I force myself not to run to my room where my already packed bag waits. I look behind me to see if he's gotten out of the binds yet before turning to the bookcase. I press my favorite book, Cress, and the safe appears behind the bookcase. Not wasting time, I open the safe and snatch the crown. Slipping it into my bag, I close the safe and walk to the door. I stop. I expect to be coming back, but I just can't shake the feeling that the next time I come back I will be packing up. Next time I come, I won't be welcome. I glance at my room, a small window with books scattered on my bed, bookcase, desk, window ledge and dresser. I'll be back, I assure myself.

"Can you untie me now?" Percy whines from downstairs and I hide a smile.

Slinging the bag across my body, I jump down the stairs, eager to start the adventure. I feel like someone in a book, someone about to embark on an adventure. Quickly, I go to Percy who looks annoyed. I roll my eyes at him when I untie him. He groans and stretches, his joints going off like firecrackers. He turns to me and our eyes meet, reminding me of when I first saw him. Sea-green on stormy grey. My mind fleets to that moment in the books when the character meets their love interest and everything just stops. As if it's just the two of them. That's what this feels like, except I can feel Pascal's eyes on me. Looking away, I feel a tint of blush on my cheeks.

Percy clears his throat, "Ready?"

My thoughts drift from his beautiful eyes to the unknown world. What am I doing? Should I do this? Is this a good idea? Why do I always have to be so impulsive? This is what Mother warned me about. He wants to cut my hair. He's using me. I walk to the window and look out. All my life. All my life I have dreamed of this moment. Of the moment I can finally feel the grass, run in the small stream. Live my life. "Yes." It was faint, but it was enough.

Percy stares at me uncertain expression for a minute before climbing out of the tower and down the pebbled wall. I watch him, slowly making his way down. He didn't meet the description Mother gave about males.

Stepping closer to the ledge, I look over. So close, I can feel it. Should I go? No. Yes. No. Yes...yes. Sucking in a breath, I hook my long hair up and start to slide down it. Wind ruffles my dress and my mouth spreads wide in glee. So, this is what it feels like to be free...

Disclaimer: I do not own PJO or HoO or Rapunzel.