19

And everything was finally beginning to make sense. 

Annabeth's POV:

The towers are the first things I see, emerging from the forest. I feel Percy's arms wrap a smidge tighter as we trot onto the pebbles bridge.

We're on horseback, heading back with soldiers surrounding us, to the kingdom. Throughout the two day journey, because the soldiers didn't want to be seen so we took a little longer, Percy and I discovered that the horse in which we are currently riding on is named Blackjack. Percy and he have bonded, I'm beginning to think Seaweed Brain can actually talk to and understand the horse. I don't know.

"Five pounds that music is going to start playing when we exit off this bridge," Percy murmurs at my ear, his breath softly blowing my hair.

Snorting, I reply, "I highly doubt it, besides it's not that big of a deal..." I trail off, unsure. Feeling Percy's knowing stare at the back of my neck I sigh, "What am I thinking, music is so going to be played."

Sure enough, Blackjack leads us into the ascending village up the mountain of a kingdom, and trumpets begin to play loudly. The sound of music fills the air as more instruments join in. Villagers crowd around the streets, cheering and crying with joy. All of it is a little overwhelming as I've never felt this many eyes on me in my entire existence.

Percy's hand folds over mine and my heart begins to beat faster, until he says, "You owe me five pounds."

Rolling my eyes, I remark, "You totally just ruined that romantic gesture."

"I'll make it up," He says confidently.

"Yeah right, you'll probably forget about it in an hour give or take."

His hand closes around mine firmer this time, "I will not."

Shrugging, I turn back to waving slightly at the screaming villagers. What a day, and it's not even the middle of the afternoon yet.

***

The entourage stops at the massive, gleaming doors of the palace. My mouth opens slightly and I quickly close it as Percy helps me down off the horse.

I walk to the entrance of the castle, before waiting until Percy finishes saying whatever he has to say to Blackjack. When he joins my side again, intertwining our hands once again, we begin to walk in, our footsteps echoing down the maze of hallways. I can't believe I'm going to meet my parents, my actual parents. What if I don't like them? What if they don't like me? What if they don't remember me? What if everything goes wrong? What if it doesn't turn out the way I want it to be?

"This way miss," A soldier interrupts my thoughts.

"Hey," Percy comments softly, sensing my worried thoughts. "It'll be okay."

We begin to climb the staircase, leading to the second level. "But what if this all turns out wrong? Or not what I dreamed it may be?"

His hand squeezes mine slightly, before brushing some raven black hair out of his sea green eyes. "I guess you never know, but that's the best part about dreams. Sure they may not meet expectations, but they happen and then you get to find a new one." He glances at me once more, "But what I do know is that whatever happens, you have me and all of your childhood friends."

Grinning, as we reach the top of the stairs, I say, "Will I get to meet your mom?"

Percy's face goes beet red, "Yeah."

Pushing him slightly, I urge, "What's she like?"

We turn down a hallway, the soldier's boots clinking against the marble. Percy's face goes even redder if that is even possible. "She's amazing. She makes great blue cookies, she has the best sense of humor on planet Earth, and she's so kind and caring. You'll like her, and I'm sure she'll like you. I'm just scared that," He trails off.