13

Percy's POV:

It has been a couple hours since I was told the horrifying news of my execution. Now the sky is dark, the stars and moon providing its only light.

My thoughts constantly drift to Annabeth, and where she is, how she is. I know, by the look on her face, that I broke her heart. And by thinking that, I feel light headed. This is all my fault. She is having to recover from all of this because I wasn't there to protect her.  I wasn't by her side. I wasn't there for her.

I curse my brain as Luke's words come up. 

I wonder what the look on Annabeth's face will be when she finds out the guy she trusted, even liked, took advantage of her all along. 

He was right and I should have bolted from there, took her aside and told her everything. She doesn't know who is she because of me. Because I didn't tell her. And now she's at the mercy of this psycho woman who kidnaped her when she was a child. And she doesn't even know it.

Again, I groan in frustration, as Ethan's words now come into view.

Oh, that's not your choice Jackson. You can't protect her now. 

I find that in the silence of everything, my thoughts become more apparent. The more time I have in this suffering silence, the more I am tortured by my own mind and haunted by my own past. 

Annabeth's POV:

That night was filled with countless dreams...

You won't leave me, after today, will you?

The voices echo in the darkness.

Not for the world.

The dream moves on from him throwing me into the pond to our underwater kiss. We spiral in the embrace and I run my hands into his hair as I feel my own trailing behind me. The memory is so real, I find myself pushing him away out of shock, why would I kiss him now after what he's done to me?

The architecture is spectacular.

Suddenly I am at the beginning of the bridge, carrying us into the kingdom. I remember the view as if it were yesterday...oh wait, it was. Crazy how fast things can change.

Into architecture?

In the dream I smile slightly to myself at his interest about me, but then shove it all away. He broke my heart. He never was interested in me, and he never will be.

I've brought this along with us, and I er, I thought that uh, that maybe this wasn't the reason you were helping me anymore, so I thought it was only fair.

I remember when I put the crown in his hands and his eyes widened slightly, speechless. I should have known. That night on the boat was magical, but Mother says magic doesn't exist.

You're right, you're the reason. I haven't felt what I feel with you in a long time, Annabeth. I love your intelligence, the way you blink twice every time you can't figure something out, the way you hold yourself and the flaws that make you human.

I scoff to myself, he felt nothing, and he lied straight to my face. But...I still can't help still being drawn to him. And I hate it.

I just need to use the restroom.

Then I'm watching him walk away again, but in the dream, instead of standing there, I run and run until I reach him. When I spin him around, he sneers. I stumble back before shouting, "You lied to me! In every way a person can be manipulated! How could you do such a foul thing to someone so," I search for a word.

He raises an eyebrow, "Unexperienced?"

Throwing my arms up in the air, I let them fall to my side. "Why? Why would you do this to me?" I step closer to him. "Why would you break my heart, after EVERYTHING YOU SAID!" I release everything, not watching what I say, not caring, just wanting to know why. Know if he felt my own heart breaking. 

"Oh, Annabeth don't you see? I never loved you, I only wanted the crown." He begins to walk towards me and I begin to back away. "What kind of a fool takes a wanted criminal to the kingdom with no defense and reveals the crown at the worst possible moment?" Every word jabs and stabs. Rips and tears. Breaks and kicks.

Tears begin to cascade down my cheeks, "I'm the fool."

The dream changes one last time, to a place I still vividly remember. The words...I vividly remember. His words. My words...

Just promise me that whatever happens, you'll be okay and you won't put your life in danger to save anyone or do anything stupid.

I squeeze my eyes shut and press my hands up against my ears, attempting to block out the words that are to come. But I still hear them, clear as day.

I promise. 

This was a very fun chapter for me to write. Also, I saw that a lot of you thought chapter 12 was sad, which is very reasonable. I will be releasing the final chapter of this reading marathon. The final chapter of the actual fanfiction will be next week however. I just want to say, that Friday night's chapter is going to be a big one. Muhahahahahahahaha 

Have a nice night/day wherever you are! - The Fangirl 

Disclaimer: I do not own the PJO or HoO series. I do not own Rapunzel and I do not own these characters.