Feel the grass

The dirt, just like I dreamed they be.

And feel that summer breeze the way it's calling me.

And for the first time ever

I'm completely free.

Annabeth's POV

I curl my toes in the grass, with delight. Laughing with joy, I run to the stream and gasp at the feeling of a current running through my legs. My long hair trails behind me and I see Percy eye me with confusion.

"That's a lot of hair," Percy states, looking at me. "Why don't you cut it? I mean that's got to be annoying at times."

Pascal stirs on my shoulder. "Blssss." It is annoying, try telling her that.

I shake my head, "I can't cut it."

Percy opens his mouth to say something when he decides against it, walking away. "Come on, we've got a lot of ground to cover," He yells over his shoulder, messy black hair bobbing in the wind.

Running after him, I look back at my tower one last time before we exit into the forest. The mass of the forest boggles me, its soaring trees and endless peaceful sounds. "Wow," I whisper, almost breaking my neck, trying to look at it all.

When I'm done, I notice Percy staring at me, smiling slightly. When I look at him, he rubs the back of his neck, turning red and looking away. Ignoring it, I ask, "How do you know which way to go?"

Percy smirks, all redness fading. "A compass," He says, waving a circular object in my face.

"Let me see that," I snap, taking it from him. Examining it, I see arrows either pointing North, South, West or East. Interesting. I wonder what came to the person's head the day they got the idea. Waking up like, hey I'm just going to make a circle with arrows that point in directions. Looking at it closer, I notice how it must use science and magnification to determine the direction. "Cool beans," I whisper.

I hear Percy shuffle, "Are you done there, Wise Girl?"

Forgetting the compass momentarily, I whip around to look at him. "Wise Girl? Is that your way of calling me a smart alec?"

"In a way," Percy answers, snatching the compass from my hand, and walking away.

"Well," I shout after him., "You're such a...a...ugh." I stomp my foot in anger.

Percy looks back, starting to walk back so he can watch me. "Do you want to see the lights or not Wise Girl?"

Glaring at him, I pick up some of my trailing hair and begin walking again. That's when this huge animal comes into view, making me scream. Percy immediately puts his hands up, one forcing me behind him. "Stay behind me and do not run."

"Don't run?!" I ask frantically.

"Don't, it's a grizzly bear."

My head screams at me to get a grip, but my heart pounds so loud I can barely hear it. The bear growls and puffs its chest, getting onto two feet. My head slowly inclines as it towers over us, gulping down my oncoming fear. When the bear growls at us, the voice booming off the trees, Percy grabs my hand. "Now we run."

Without a moment's hesitation, drags me away. We both barrel through the forest and I yank my hand out of his, "I can't run when you're holding my hand!"

He doesn't listen, looking behind him and I follow his action. The grizzly bear stomps throughout the trees behind us, and I yelp, running faster. Percy grabs my hand again and leads me down a sperate path.

"I said to stop grabbing my hand," I shout, slowing down to get it out of his grasp.

"And I said to run!" He yells back, pulling me faster.

That's when the pounding of water becomes more apparent and I glance ahead to see a drop-off. Beside us a river crashes down into a massive waterfall, making my eyes bulge out in terror. "Percccy," I say, trying to stop us.

"We have to jump," He says, coming to a stop, looking over the edge.

I look down and immediately shake my head. "No way, I'd rather face spiders. And that's saying something."

Percy looks behind me at the bear who I can tell by the noise, is coming closer. "Well, sorry but, you don't have much of a choice." He then grabs my hand and runs towards the edge, dragging me with him. I scream as we topple over the cliff, air howling like a wolf to the full moon in my ear.

The water hurdles closer and I gasp, plugging my nose and bracing for impact. I hit the water with a big slap, falling deeper into the liquid. Swimming upwards, I start to panic, not sure when I'll break the surface. Just when my lungs are about to burst, I reach the surface, taking in huge gulps of air and panting. Dragging myself to the side of the land, I take a moment to rest and catch my breath.

"That was fun," Percy grins, swimming over to me.

Turning red with anger, I turn to him. "No, that was definitely not!"

Percy laughs "Wise Girl, you have to admit that jumping into the air was a thrill." I don't respond, but instead, splash him. Right. In. The. Face. Percy looks at me amused, "Oh you're so going to pay."

Before I can even react, he starts splashing me senseless. I gasp and squeeze my eyes, flailing my arms around to splash him back. Our laughter fills the air and we soon find each other inches away. My breathing becomes faster and I know that if I leaned any closer our lips would touch. I've always read about this moment, in books, but that doesn't mean I expected it to happen.

"We should probably find somewhere to sleep," I whisper, my eyes searching his.

He smirks and leans in but just as I think is going to kiss me, he swerves last minute and walks past me. He played me there. I curl my hands into fists in anger. "Seaweed Brain," I mutter.

I hear him stop walking behind me, "What?"

Whirling around at him, I say more defiantly, "I said, Seaweed Brain. Do you wanna know why? Oh, I know. You probably play girls like chess. A girl's heart is not something you can play frisbee with." I step closer, my breath on his face. "That little stunt that you played there was incredibly mean. Not that I care. I don't. But it just wasn't right."

Percy for a minute actually looks scared before he frowns. "Sorry, Wise Girl, I didn't know that affected you."

I cross my arms stubbornly, locks of hair getting tangled in my wrists. "It did not."

"Fine then," Percy scoffs.

"Fine," I snap.

"Fine." 

Disclaimer: I do not own PJO, HoO or Rapunzel. I do not own these characters.