12

Skip the drama

Stay with Momma

Mother knows best

...

Don't forget it

You'll regret it

Mother knows best

Percy's POV:

The sound of footsteps wakes me from my nightmare-filled night. Rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, I glance at the other side of the bars. Soldiers along with the General all crowd around the entrance, clearly waiting for my undivided attention.

"Jackson," The General barks at me. Lifting my head higher, I lock eyes with him. He seems satisfied and continues, "Your crimes are of the following, treason of conspiring with the thieves, kidnapping a young girl, stealing the royal lost princess's crown, and breaking into the palace."

Once he finishes, I hold up a hand, "Whoa, whoa, how did you know it was them that stole the crown? I thought you thought it was me!"

The guy just stares at me for a second. "Out of everything I just listed and told you, that's what you have to say?"

I shrug, "It's not like you're going to kill me, I need to have a trial first because I'm innocent." The General purses his lips together and I feel my heart stop. "Wait...am I not having a trial?"

"I'm afraid not."

I begin to splutter like I used to when Mom didn't give me the last blue cookie. "But I, I won't be...hanged...right?" His silence is the only answer I need. Fear begins to latch onto me and I feel my heart drop into my stomach, I feel as if I'm back to that twelve-year-old boy who was afraid to enter the forest with Paul...

"I'm scared," I whisper, staring into the complete darkness of the forest right outside our kingdom.

Paul places a hand over my shoulder gently, "It's alright Percy, it's okay to be scared." When I still don't move, he sighs and crouches in front of my tiny figure. "In life, there will always be fear, but there will also always be hope. If you tell yourself you can't do it, then you won't. But if you tell yourself you can, you will."

I hop back into the present to ask a question I'm not sure I want the answer to. "When?"

"Tomorrow morning, eight o'clock sharp." I watch them leave in utter silence and disbelief. I'm going to die tomorrow. Turning around, I face the wall and just for a moment listen to the pounding of my heart.

My head begins to spin, and I punch the wall before crying out in pain and clutching my hand. As I slide down the wall, I yell at the top of my lungs, as if I could reach Annabeth from this dingy, dirty, small cell; I'm sorry, I'm so sorry Wise Girl.

Annabeth's POV:

My prediction is he'll leave you. With the crown. Never to be seen again. And if you're so confident, don't come running and crying back to me.

Mother's words haunt me as Emily and I walk to a hill that overlooks the village, next to the palace. Running my hands into my braid, I close my eyes slightly to feel the tears coursing down my cheeks. "Mother was right...about everything," I sigh.

"Hey," Emily says softly. "He took advantage of you, he was a jerk."

I groan in frustration at my stupid behavior as we both take a seat on the hillside. "I can't believe I was blind enough to not notice!"

Emily turns to me, wind blowing her hair back. "Annabeth, I don't think you are blind. I think you were seeing everything for the first time that you didn't notice what was in front of you."

Her words soak into me and I sigh, wiping away a stray tear. "I should've never left that tower," I say solemnly. Emily starts but I stand up, "Thanks Emily for being there for me. I hope you find someone who wouldn't hurt you like Percy has to me."

Emily sighs, giving me a sad smile, "You too Annabeth, you too."

I give one last wave, before running down the hillside, "Live your dreams, Emily, make them a reality."

***

The tower in a way looks different. It almost doesn't seem like home, as if it somehow aged years in time. Everything looks dark and unwelcome, I think to myself as I pull out two daggers to help me climb. I got these in town for Percy and me in case something, that Mother taught me about, would attack us.

Wedging my bare feet into the little cracks on the tower, I begin my climb, pulling with my arms and pushing heavily on my legs. I keep trying to focus on the task at hand...so I don't, well, die; but all I can seem to think about is Percy. Why would he do what he did? Did he ever feel bad at any point? Would he think about how he would leave me when we were together? I didn't see it coming, which was even worse. A silent, rebel tear slides down my face. He made me feel special, he made me think that I didn't have to bear the burdens and demons of the world alone, he made me think that I could always trust him to never leave me. It's almost weird to look back at the time that I would gaze into his eyes, fully trusting. That seems like a different life. A long time ago. Someone else's experience. It's like I'm seeing it through someone else's eyes, as I feel my heart break, bit by bit.

Finally reaching the window, I heave myself in, grunting. As I enter the tower, Mother gasps and rushes over to me. She takes in my tear-streaked face, tired eyes and messy hair and pulls me into a tight hug. When I enter her warm embrace I begin to cry, letting out all of the pent-up emotions over the last 24 hours. "Love just causes heartache," I sob into her shoulder.

She begins to stroke my hair, "Oh, Flower, it'll be okay."

"You were right about everything Mother, I should never have left the tower," I cry, giving a shaky breath.

"I warned you, Annabeth."

"I know."

***

I sit in silence, cocooned in my room, books, and drawings of all sorts scattered around. I haven't bothered to clean the mess up yet, it seems I only have the energy to just sit and stare out my window, the booming waterfall in the background of my cluttered thoughts.

The events over the past couple of days changed dramatically in a matter of minutes. It was almost as if Percy and I were on a road and when we came to a crumbled, broken bridge, he just let me fall. I would've preferred a fight between us because what's worse than that is knowing they never really loved you. 

Bonjour! Comment ça va? 

Sorry, I've got French this year so, I'm just brushing up on it, even though that's the most basic sentence there is out there. ANYWAY, this, my friends, is the start of a not movie marathon but a (drum roll please)...reading marathonnnnnn!!! Yay! So, yeah, I'm just making this quick because heh, I've got a LOT of writing to do in the next hour or so and my computer is at 26%. 

Cya later! - The Fangirl 

Disclaimer: I do not own the PJO or HoO series, I do not own the grande story of Rapunzel. And I most certainly don't own these characters.