21

I found love where it wasn't supposed to be. 

Annabeth's POV: 

I always would think life was filled with princes in shining armor, damsels in distress, star-crossed love, a different adventure than what I'm experiencing right now. But, I was wrong. Instead, I was greeted with goofy seaweed brains, damsels who are their own hero, and love that has no bounds. 

I think of this as we descend into the village, my hand gripping Percy's in a tight grasp. I'm probably no doubt cutting off his circulation. 

Villagers part at our arrival and I spin in a circle, taking everything in. Percy beside me laughs, "This reminds me of the last time I brought you here." He tucks a strand of hair behind my ear and says the next part softly, "You were so fascinated by everything." Blushing, I press my cheek into his hand, staring back. 

When we break away, I catch my parents watching us, before averting their eyes quickly. Father clears throat, "We're just going to talk with some friends. Annabeth, want to come with us?" 

I look at him, then at Percy. "No, it's okay, you go ahead." 

"Why didn't you go? This whole adventure might've been about the lights, but it was also about your parents," Percy ask me, once my parents are gone.  

Turning to him, I say, "Because I want to be with you, not anyone else." 

His face flushes, and he stutters, pointing to himself in the process, "Me-me?" 

Rolling my eyes, I pull him onto the dance floor in the courtyard. Villagers begin to dance all. around us as a new song is put on. Percy and I get pulled apart and we find ourselves amongst the dancers. The song is slower than the other festive ones before it, but the emotion in it makes up for it, as our feet lead us in patterns everywhere, looping in and out. 

I'll use you as a warning sign. That if you talk enough sense, then lose your mind. 

Others begin to join in, as the rest watch in a silenced awe at the rim, upon the storefronts. 

I've moved further than I thought I could. But I miss you more than I thought I would. 

The lyrics remind me of the grande journey Percy and I endured, and when we were split apart in two, so was my heart. I begin to look for his raven black hair midst the dance, but the blur of people all around me punctures any stable sight. 

I found love where it wasn't supposed to be. Right in front of me. 

My eyes finally find Percy. Everything dims around him as if there were a spotlight. We start to merge toward one another until we're once again separated. 

Talk some sense to me. 

Then the song plays into an instrumental part, and the girls all face the boys, tapping our feet every which way. I laugh at the carefree nature of the dance, yet feeling the emotional connection like doves being let out of a cage. I also laugh as I see Percy trying to copy the people next to him, having no clue what he's doing. I begin to sense the building of the music, as the words come closer once again. Everyone parts and links arms, spiraling around one another and onto the next. My hand reaches out to Percy's...

I found love where it wasn't supposed to be. Right in front of me. 

Our hands grasp one another at those words at last, and its almost as if everything around us explodes in a fiery dance. The sky lights up with fireworks and lanterns, people begin to sing, others dancing with electricity. 

"Heya there," He whispers in my ear, pulling me to him. 

"Hey," I breathe, caught in the moment. And yes, I know, we've been this close before, we've kissed, etc. But, I don't know why I feel more right now than I thought I ever would. As if something finally clicked in the universe for me. 

We pull apart enough to look each other in the eyes, and my heart begins to dance, absolutely joyful from the sights all around me and in front of me, and the amount of energy crackling between us. His eyes gaze at my lips for a second longer before cupping my chin and bringing me closer. Closing my eyes, I feel a burst of electricity as our lips touch, at the last words. 

I found love where it wasn't supposed to be. Right in front of me. Talk some sense into me. 

Our hearts exploding in complete and utter...actually, there's no word for it. All I know is that when you're in love, nothing else matters. That may sound cliché but it's the truth. 

*** 

"That dance, that kiss, ugh my gosh it was the best thing I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE," Piper gushes to the rest of us girls about what she watched between Percy and me. 

Thalia leans over my chair, glancing at the boys who're sitting on the hillside over the lake. "I'm not sure my cousin has the span large enough to create such a powerful emotion." Oh yeah, did I tell you? Thalia and Percy literally found out they were cousins two hours ago! 

"Thalia!" Calypso hits her arm. "Be nice." 

She shrugs, "I am!" 

Will walks over to us, "She's right, you do not want to see her at her full potential." We all laugh at that. "Anyway, girls, want to join us boys by the lake?" He leans over to us more, whispering, "They're quite boring." 

Getting up, we make our way over and I find my jaw dropping at the sheer beauty laid out before me. The moon casts a gorgeous reflection across the waters, and the twinkling lights in the town and music coming from the streets are enough to make me smile. 

Taking a seat beside Percy, I snuggle up to him as he wraps an arm around my waist. "Cold?" He murmurs. 

Sighing, I say, "A little." 

His hold on me becomes tighter, pulling me closer. I take one last look at my chatting friends, before laying my head on Seaweed Brain's shoulder. 

Life is full of heartbreak, betrayal, darkness, sorrow, and loss...but it's also filled with love, happiness, light, friendship, and dreams.

Up top is the song "I Found" by Amber Run, which was the song I used for the scene in this chapter. It's amazing, I highly recommend it. The part of the song in which the scene goes off of is the end by the way. 

Have a great night/day wherever you are! - The Fangirl 

Disclaimer: I do not own PJO or HoO. I do not own the characters. I do not own the song up top. I do not own Rapunzel.