Chapter 1

You got off the train from Resembool. You'd finally arrived in Central City. Today, you would be taking up Roy Mustang's advice. You arrived to persue the title of State Alchemist, as a dog of the military. As you walked around the familiar crowded train station, you couldn't help but remember your last conversation with Mustang over the phone the week earlier.

You were jolted into conciousness by the sound of the phone ringing. Sighing, you dragged yourself out of your comfortable bed and stomped over to the receiver.

"Hello? Who is this?" When he replied, you knew instantly who it was, but you could barely believe it.

"(Y/N)? It's Roy. I know last time we spoke, you weren't exactly happy. I can only hope those feelings have passed in the last couple months. Lately, I've been thinking back to the times I've seen you help fight the people that were after me the couple times we'd met up in the past three years, and I can't help but think your skills could be put to some great use in the military." You checked your watch.

"Mustang, you called me at three in the morning to tell me this? Do you not sleep like everyone else?"

"I have too much on my mind to sleep these days. Including the fact that the State Alchemist Exams are next week, and I think you should apply. You've got some raw talent, (y/n), and with some more polishing you could bring a great impact to not just the military, but Amestris as a whole. When I become Führer, I want allies like you around. People I can trust. Maes has made it a point to tell me I need more friends, and with all that's been happening, he might be right for once."

"Look Roy, I may not be mad at you anymore, and we may still be friends. But I have no idea how far things could go if I were to join. My family may be dead, I may not have anything to do with myself, but I don't need to join the military, and I still need some damn sleep like a normal person. I just don't know if becoming a State Alchemist will be a good idea for me."

"Will you at least think about it?" You sighed. You could at least let him think you might consider going.

"I guess. But no-" CLANG "-promises."
The bastard had hung up on you in the middle of your sentence, just to make a point. That was just like Mustang.

You plodded over to your bed and flopped down on the soft mattress, letting the moonlight from the window wash over your body. You pondered over what Roy said until you fell asleep.

As you stepped out of the station into the sunlight, you sighed. That damn bastard. Somehow he had managed to make you want to come here from just a five minute phone call at 3 am. He's so insistant. And his voice was so demanding.

You walked until you found a quaint little inn about 5 minutes from Central HQ. Once you were inside, you asked a little old lady at the front desk for a room. She handed you your key, and you went up the stairs a couple feet from the desk.

After you found your room, which consisted of a living room, a bathroom, kitchen, balcony, and a master bedroom, you dumped your luggage on the bed. Then you went into the bathroom, finding towels and different soaps, so you decided to take a hot shower.

Once you were out, you got dressed in a (f/c) shirt and (f/c) shorts, then put your (h/l) (h/c) hair in a bun. Right as you finished getting dressed, you heard a loud knock on the door.

You were more than a little confused. You hadn't told anyone you would be here, so who could it be? You grabbed a switchblade from your bag, and held it behind your back, prepared for an assault once you opened the door. You approached it, slowly turned the knob, and peeked out to see a concerned looking Roy Mustang.

"What the hell Roy? How did you know I was here? Let alone which room I was in?" He smirked, but you didn't let it affect you more than his random drop in already had. You refused to give him the satisfaction of seeing how you really felt about his presence.

"I had one of my men, Havoc, posted in the station to see if you came. I gave him a description of what you looked like, and orders to follow you and see where you were staying. He reported your location about an hour ago, and I just asked the nice little old lady at the desk which room you were in." His smirk widened a bit, looking more smug. Then he looked down at your shirt and shorts, which were really only meant for lounging around, so they were shorter than they could have been. His ears turned a little pink, and you noticed what looked like a blush forming on his cheeks.

"Why go through all the trouble of seeing where I am right now, if you could have just waited until the exams to see if I had showed up? Seems a bit exessive, Mustang." He chuckled in that deep voice of his, and you felt yourself blush a little.

"Why? Because I wanted the satisfaction of knowing you were here right now." With that, he turned around and strode down the corridor, but even though his back was turned, you could see his ears were still pink.

That damned man...you stomped over to your bed and plopped down, letting your bags fall over the side. You were angry at yourself for blushing when he had laughed, and that the blush was still there. But you wondered how knowing you were here would give him satisfaction. As you let your mind search for a possible answer, you drifted into sleep's embrace.