Chapter 2

You woke up in your hotel room, and memories of your conversation with Roy flooded into your head. You remembered how he blushed when he looked at what you were wearing, and felt your own cheeks flush. Did that mean he liked the way you looked? Did that mean he had a secret crush on you? Or was it something else?

These questions paraded around your mind as you got ready for the exams, which would be at noon. You looked at the watch on your wrist, which said it was 9 am. Perfect. That gave you at least 2 and a half hours to get ready and maybe to practice some of your alchemy.

You could do the simple things that most alchemists could, like create weapons, raise walls, and fix things. But you were especially gifted in both flame and water alchemy. When people learned this about you, they were typically surprised, given that they were opposite elements, but you had trained yourself this way.

As a small child, there had been an accident in your home that left your whole family dead. All you remembered was a white place you hadn't been before, and there were two scars: one on each side of your neck. You were brought up by your neighbors, who refused to talk about what happened, and you found alchemy books in their library. As you read them, you became more and more interested in learning to use alchemy. You started off using circles like most, but eventually discovered you didn't need them.

Even though could use your alchemy without a transmutation circle, you kept a glove for each specialty, just to make sure you had a secret weapon. You put those on, then put on a (f/c) shirt and (f/c) pants, along with some (f/c) combat boots. You decided to have your hair (h/s).

You looked back down at your gloves and smirked. Very few people knew you used both water and flame alchemy, and Roy wasn't one of them. You'd only ever used water and ice alchemy around him. You couldn't wait to see how he would react when he found out you could use flame, just like him.

You grabbed your room key and switchblade, then walked out the door of your hotel room, locking it behind you. Then you set off for Central HQ.

When you arrived, someone was waiting for you. You could tell because he was staring at you, and there was a flash of recognition in his eyes when you looked at him. He sauntered towards you while lighting a cigarette.

"The name's Havoc. I'm one of Colonel Mustang's men." Great. It was the guy Roy had ordered to basically stalk you the day before.

"So you're Havoc. Yeah he told me how he told you to stalk me yesterday. Is you waiting for me here another one of his orders?" Havoc grinned, his cigarette sticking out the side of his mouth.

"At your service pretty lady. Yes, he told me to wait here for you, and to bring you to where the exams are being held. You don't mind that, huh?" You tried to ignore his 'pretty lady' compliment and refused the urge to knock the cigarette out his mouth.

"No I don't mind. Please lead the way." He grinned even wider and turned around to walk towards the entrance of HQ. As you were walking he asked a lot of questions.

"So what's your name? It's probably as pretty as you." You again resisted the urge to smack him.

"My name is (f/n) (l/n). Did Roy not tell you?" He frowned a little bit, apparently not happy you were ignoring his compliments.

"Nah, Colonel Mustang just told me you were a friend of his. He said to look for a pretty girl with (h/l) (h/c) hair, with (f/c) eyes, and with a scar on each side of her neck. You fit the description." When Havoc told you the description Roy gave him, you blushed and almost gasped. Did Roy really say that? Or was that just an addition of Havoc's? You couldn't be sure, and you didn't dare let yourself hope Roy had feelings for you. But you started to wonder if there were more reasons for him wanting you here than he told you.

Suddenly, Havoc stopped before a set of double doors. He looked down at you, then opened one of the doors and held it for you.

"Please wait in here Miss (l/n). I'm sure I'll see you around." He smirked.

"Bye Havoc." You walked into the room, which was full of tables facing the door. You sat down in the far corner, and took at your surroundings. You noticed that you were the only woman there. There were lots of men, and they were all staring at you in looks that were mixtures of disbelief and amusement. You could hear whispers from different groups that had their heads bent together, and every so often they would look back up at you.

You tried to ignore their stares, so you just looked straight ahead and waited for the exam to start. Soon their attention was on the doors, through which came Führer Bradley, Roy, Maes Hughes, and more officials you didn't know. Everyone in the room got out of their seats and saluted the officers. After a couple seconds, Bradley spoke.

"Please men, be seated. Most of you aren't actually part of the military yet. There's no need to salute. Not unless you pass the State Alchemist Exams. This section is the written exam. You will all receive 90 minutes to complete it. The time will start once everyone has a packet. No cheating will be tolerated, and the officials standing before you will be watching to make sure that doesn't happen. Once you finish, please bring your papers to Lieutenant Colonel Hughes. Good luck."

He smiled kindly, then walked out of the room while one of the uniformed officers passed out papers to everyone. As soon as they were distributed, Roy looked around the room, then let his gaze rest on you. "You may begin."

The questions were all easy for you. Some were about the laws that bound a State Alchemist, which you had studied. Some were about basics of alchemy. Others were hypothetical common sense senarios. You finished in half the regulation time. You stood up, and silently brought your paper to Maes. He smiled warmly, and whispered, "Good luck (y/n)," in your ear. One of the other officers walked you out the doors to the front.

"You may leave now if you would like. The practical session of the exam will not start until tomorrow. You will be notified tonight whether or not you have passed the written segment, and whether or not you will be able to continue. Please have a safe journey to where you're staying miss." With that, he smiled, and went back into the building.

You decided to go back to the hotel to study and get some rest.