Chapter 13

Every muscle in your body was taut as Envy slunk forward. As he walked, you couldn't help but notice the ouroboros on his thigh. There was a confident and menacing smirk on his face, promising death. Death and pain.

But you realized death and pain were things you'd survived before. You assessed the odds quickly. The advantages were that you knew yourself better than he knew you, and you had tricks up your sleeve. The disadvantages, however, were that you knew nothing about this creature, other than the fact that he was a murderer.

You pulled a combat knife from its sheath in the sleeve of your jacket. There were also three more hidden on your body, ever present. And of course, you had your alchemy. Your gloves were still on, and you poised yourself to strike at a moments notice. There was no need to take them off and show him your secret weapon.

Envy looked you up and down, then licked his lips, with a bloodthirsty glint in his eye. Then he struck, quick as lightning. The breath was knocked out of your body as he punched you in the stomach. He was powerful. Your eyes bulged, and the knife clattered to the ground. Envy smirked even wider, and you saw the satisfaction in his eyes.

"You'd looked so confident in yourself a minute ago," he whispered. "I thought you were gonna make this fun. Don't bore me." The last part turned into a sneer.

As he'd stopped to taunt you, you'd realized he'd given you an advantage without thinking about it. You could reach him too now. As he went to push you away, you snapped out of your semi catatonic state. You grabbed his wrist, shoved your foot into his armpit, pulled his arm and twisted it as hard as you could.

There was a wet cracking noise, and he howled in pain. You'd dislocated his shoulder. You let go and backed up, wiping blood from your mouth that you'd coughed up when he punched you.

Envy was doubled over, his arm at an awkward angle. Then he stood up, his back facing you. You watched in horror as his arm twisted itself back to its normal position. He then turned to face you and cackled at your expression.

"Puny human," he roared. "Can't take it, can you? I'm immortal! You can't hurt me!" He threw his head back, almost screaming in laughter. You took that chance to slip another combat knife from your boot and plunge it into his heart.

He coughed up blood. It spattered on your face and the floor. You leaned forward.

"I may be human, and you may be immortal, but even if I can't kill you, I can damn well try." With that you pulled out the knife and stabbed him a second time, twisting the knife. You held it there for a second, then kicked his shaking body away from you to the floor.

Envy's body racked with tremors. He slowly looked up, surprise and hatred filling his eyes and face. He shook violently, then coughed up more blood. It ran down his chin and throat in little streams.

"T-this...this isn't...o-over," he panted. You blinked, and he was gone. The only reminder that he'd even been there was your own blood smeared on your hand from wiping your face, and his own blood spattered on the floor.

You slumped to the floor, content to sit a minute and think. After a little while, the front door opened. You looked up at footsteps entering the room.

"Y/n?" Roy dove for you, capturing your face in his hands and turning it from side to side, looking for the source of the blood that was smeared on it.

"Y/n, what happened? Who did this? There's been a serial killer on the loose. Did someone do this to you? Was it him?" He pulled you into his lap and stroked your hair. "Y/n, please tell me what happened."

You looked up at him and saw the concern and fear in his eyes. There was something else too. Love. When Envy had impersonated Roy, there was no love in his eyes. This had to be the real Roy holding you.

You told him about everything, including how you'd identified Envy as an imposter, how there was an ouroboros tattoo on his leg, and how he'd claimed to be immortal. As you filled him in, his eyes widened, and he looked as if he was calculating the information.

"He's got to be the serial killer Y/n. He had the tattoo that's been found on all the bodies. But how did he get in the house?" You shook your head, as bewildered as him. You had no idea. None of the windows or doors looked damaged. Which meant he'd probably used alchemy to get in. But then again, you couldn't recall seeing a transmutation circle on him, and he'd been far too close to you for comfort at times.

"I don't know Roy. But one thing's for sure. We've got to find him. And we've got to find some way to destroy him, or to contain him, if he is in fact immortal."

He nodded in agreement. You realized with a sigh you wouldn't be able to sleep that night. You'd be up waiting for someone to attack you.