Chapter 10

The next morning was peaceful and quiet. You and Roy sat in bed exchanging stories of what had happened over the past two months. Right now, Roy was telling you about the newest State Alchemist, the youngest ever accepted into the military.

"He's only twelve years old? And his alchemy is advanced enough at that age to become a State Alchemist?"

"It's astounding, I know. He packs a lot more power than you'd think in that tiny body of his. The Führer gave him the title 'Fullmetal', most likely due to his automail arm and leg."

"Edward is 12 and he already has automail? How did he get it so young? That means he would have been at least 10 or 11 when he got it, since he would have needed about a year for it to be fully functional. He must have had one hell of a childhood..." Roy looked a little nervous. Like there was something about the kid he didn't want you to know. You decided not to pry. He would tell you when he was ready.

"You could say that. Their father left when they were little. And their mother died. Edward had quite the accident. His younger brother Alphonse never leaves his side. He's always wearing a huge suit of armor."

"Yeesh. Sounds...interesting. I look forward to meeting them though."

"We'll see them later today. I told them yesterday to meet me in my office at 2. There's something else about Edward I forgot to tell you, and I think you'll find it even more intriguing. He can do alchemy without a transmutation circle. Like you." You felt your eyes widen. You'd never met another alchemist who could transmute without a circle. This was something you'd never read about in any of your alchemy books. There's someone else? I wonder if he's been to the white place...

You'd never told Roy about the white place. You didn't want him to worry about you. He already did that enough, and he probably wouldn't know what it meant either. But you'd suspected for a long time that it had something to do with the strength of your alchemy, and why you could use it without a circle.

"You're right. That is intriguing." You frowned. "Maybe we're distantly related or something. All the family I knew died in their accident when I was little. But it would make sense that there was another branch of the family I hadn't met." Roy frowned as well, deep in thought. He looked as if he doubted the family theory and decided not to say so. But you figured his thoughts were his thoughts.

"I'm going to start getting ready (y/n). Do you want to shower first?" You nodded.

"Yeah. I'll be quick."

As the hot water ran over your body, you couldn't help but wonder what it was that made Edward able to transmute the way you could. You didn't know how to feel about it. There was something tugging at the back of your mind, something you'd read in your alchemy books, but you couldn't quite remember what it was, or what it had to do with Edward. That fact that you couldn't remember was aggravating. Especially since you felt it was probably important information.

When you got out of the shower, you made your way to the kitchen as you instantly dried your (h/c) hair with your alchemy. You found Roy flipping pancakes. You smiled and quietly wrapped your arms around him from behind. You kissed his cheek.

"Hey Roy." He smiled.

"Hey (n/n). You hungry?" You rested your head on his back.

"Mmhmm. You know I love pancakes." He finished cooking his last few, and put them on a plate stacked high with more pancakes. He brought the plate to the table along with two empty plates and syrup.

"Thanks Roy." He smiled at you and winked.

"Of course." Then you both piled pancakes on your plates. As you ate, your mind drifted, trying to remember what it was you'd read so long ago. But no matter how hard you tried, you couldn't remember. You gave up and decided to just enjoy the delicious food.

Once you and Roy made it to his office in Central, your friends saw you were back and all greeted you happily. Riza was first to greet you. You'd become close in the past year. Then it was Havoc, Fuery, Falman, and Breda. Not long after, there was a knock on the door.

"Come in," said Roy. A short boy with braided blonde hair and gold eyes opened the door and walked into the room, followed by a tall suit of armor. It must have been Alphonse. You listened closely to his steps. They sounded...hollow?

"Ah, Fullmetal. And hello Alphonse. I have a new assignment for you. You'll have another State Alchemist joining you." Edward's bored face lit up in curiosity.

"Where are they?" Roy chuckled. You stepped forward next to him.

"This is the Blue Flame Alchemist, (f/n) (l/n). She'll be accompanying you. The mission is to simply do a perimeter run of Central. We're short handed at the moment. One of our spies stationed in Drachma alerted us to preparations for a large-scale attack on Fort Briggs. Many Central soldiers were sent, so there aren't enough to do perimeter runs, and a lot of other State Alchemists are there. Besides, I find that a lot of them let things go undetected. So that's all you're doing. No field trips Fullmetal."

Roy then grabbed Edward and whispered something in his ear, too quiet for you to hear. Whatever it was, it made Edward gulp in fear. Then Roy gave you a look. You new what it meant. Be safe.

"You're dismissed." You left the room with Edward and Alphonse. Now that you were closer to the armored boy, you were sure of it. His steps were definitely hollow. And there was no way an 11 year old boy was 7 feet tall. He was undoubtedly a spirit bound to the armor.

As you all walked down the long hallways, you started to connect the dots as you remembered what it was you couldn't remember from your research. You remembered one thing. That it was dangerous. And it cost a lot. Alphonse is a spirit bound to armor...Edward has two automail limbs...Talking about the specifics of their 'accident' made Roy nervous...They're supposedly powerful alchemists...No parents.....It can't be! They didn't! Could they...?

But you didn't dare ask them. Not yet. You wanted a chance to see Edward's no-circle alchemy for yourself first. Then you would ask them if they did it. The ultimate taboo...