Chapter 3

You got to your hotel room and sank down on the couch next to a little pile of alchemy books. You'd been a little nervous about the written exam, but you were relieved when you saw it would be easy. But you still had the practical exam tomorrow, which would be a physical evaluation on your skill. You were sure they would be impressed by your abilities in both flame and water alchemy. Not many alchemists could use opposite elements with equal power. One would usually be weaker than the other. But not you. You had trained as long as you could remember to use both with equal strength, and you were sure they were both powerful.

Just then, there was a knock on the door. You checked your watch. It was 5 pm. You'd gone to a little restaurant nearby to have lunch after the first exam, and looked around a shop or two before you came back to study. You guessed this was probably someone from the military bringing you your results. Still, you made sure your switchblade was in one had while the other opened the door. Yet again, it was Roy Mustang.

"Evening (y/n). You passed your first exam. You had the highest score. Didn't I tell you you'd to do good?" He had that same smirk as always, and his deep voice was just as piercing as his dark eyes. He was proud of himself for being right about your success. He raised an eyebrow at you and laughed. "What do you have a switchblade in your hand for? Scared I'm gonna bite you or something?" You blushed at his laughter, and looked indignantly up to meet his gaze.

"Of course not! I'm not scared of you Mustang, and I'm certainly not scared of your bite. And I don't see how it's funny. For all I knew you were someone coming to kill me. There's no peephole in the door so I wouldn't be able to see unless I opened it. Simple logic Mustang." He seemed even more amused by your irritation, and by you getting flustered over his words. His smirk just got bigger.

"Come on now (y/n) you know I'm just messing with you. No need to get so irritable. Not that it doesn't make you attractive though. You look adorable when you're angry." Your eyes widened, and your cheeks flushed a deep red. He started to blush a little too.

"Roy..." You were speechless. Your gazes were locked, but his wasn't smug like before. It was gentle. This was a side of him you hadn't seen before. He seemed to hesitate for a moment, then he said something that shocked you even more.

"(Y/n), since the last time we fought side by side when you, Maes, and I met up in Resembool, I haven't been able to stop thinking about you. The emotion in your eyes and your voice when you were pissed at me when I almost got myself killed on that rainy day was captivating. No one looks at another person like that if they don't care. You know I'm useless on rainy days, and you did everything you could to help protect me in that fight. Watching you was beautiful. You still are. I didn't tell you all the reasons I wanted you to come here. Yes, your skills are great, you're an amazing warrior and alchemist, yes I think you would bring good things to this country, but I also need you more than I realized before. Is that okay with you? I understand if you don't feel the same way..."

"Roy....I do feel that way. I feel the same. I was wondering if you felt something, but I refused to let myself hope, because I feared rejection. But how do you have so much more faith in me than I have in myself? How do you know I'm going to do good things for this country? I wasn't lying when I said I don't know what's gonna happen." His eyes softened just a little bit, and he smiled. Not his usual smirk, but a true smile. He leaned down and pulled you into his arms.

"You should have seen yourself when you fought that day. You were so beautiful, and you looked immortal, like no one could ever touch you. You always have a look of determination or sadness on your face, and I want to make you happier. I think that you would be a great leader in the military some day. Hell, I'd want you to be my second in command when I become Führer. I wouldn't want anyone else. There's no one else I would trust more to be by my side in every way. As a lover, a fellow officer, anything you want to be." You buried your face in his neck and relaxed in his arms. He made you feel so safe. After a couple more seconds, Roy pulled away.

He gently grabbed your chin and lifted your face to his. You were so close your noses were almost touching.

"(F/n) (l/n), I love you." Then he leaned forward and softly kissed your lips. Immediately, you kissed him back, just as softly. You melted into him and wrapped your arms around his neck, as he put his arms around your waist. You kissed for a little while, until you both remembered you needed air.

"I love you too Roy Mustang." You were both flushed red, and he smiled when you told him you loved him. He kissed you one more time, more desperately than before, and slowly pulled away.

"Goodnight (y/n). I'll see you tomorrow." He smiled and backed away.

"Goodnight Roy." You smiled back at him, and watched him walk down the hallway and down the stairs. Then you slowly closed the door, while reality caught up with you. You had just kissed Roy Mustang. More importantly, he had initiated it, and even more importantly, he'd said he loved you.

The rest of that night, you couldn't keep your mind off of what had happened between you two. You'd never felt happier.