Chapter eight

Lucius' POV

_________________________________________

Joules looked scared to find that our parents were jumping over the fence and into the lot we called home.

"Stay here," I said to her as I walked forward a little. She crept forward, trying to follow me. She was stubborn and as bullheaded as....well, a bull. "No, Joules, they want me. Stay here. If I'm in trouble, then you can fight. Deal?" I asked, trying to plead with her. I sighed in relief when she nodded.

She knew, as well as I did, that while the police were a bother, they weren't the real problem. Our parents were the problem. Well, more like my parents were the problem. I guess I should tell you my story.

_________________________________________

FLASHBACK

_________________________________________

It was just before I met Joules, just before I got my powers. My dad hated me, and so did my mom. I was never sure why. My dad came home and started hitting me with a baseball bat. Cruel, right? He didn't stop until my mom told him to, but then she slashed me with a knife. Thanks to her, I have scars on my wrists, one on my stomach, and now one on my back. They didn't help me heal. I had bruises, broken bones, and had lost a lot of blood. That night I snuck out to the lab and left a note that said exactly this.

"I hate you guys. I'm never coming back, but you won't miss me, right?

-Lucius"

_________________________________________

END FLASHBACK

_________________________________________

So that's why they want me back. To torture me. I have no desire to know why they feel pleased to beat up their own son. So Joules is really the only family I have.

"Ah, son, there you are," my father said, "we've been looking for you." Only then did I notice the knife in his hand.

"Coward," I sneered, "what's wrong? Can't attack your son without a knife?" His pride was strong and so he put the blade down.

"Fine, come at me!!!" My father said, and I was so angry I leaped, my hand grabbing his wrist as I shocked him. I didn't let go. I was just so mad.

"Lucius!!!" Joules said, snapping my out of my trance. I ran, and I sensed Joules at my heels.

Joules' POV

_________________________________________

Lucius seemed to be in a trance as he shocked his abusive father. Finally I couldn't take it anymore. "Lucius!!!" I said, snapping him out of it. We ran for our lives, knowing we couldn't go back to the lot, at least not anytime soon.

"What happened back there?" I asked Lucius as soon as we stopped for the night. (We had been running all day but the event never slipped our minds.)

"I....I don't know. I just got so mad. You must think I'm a terrible person, huh?" He said, smiling sadly, "I never meant to, but now you must think I'm a murderer." He said again, hiding his face in his hands. I sat with my shoulder touching his to cheer him up a bit.

"No, not at all. I just think you were so enraged you lost control. It's okay." I said.

"But what happens if one day I shock you? We've never shocked each other before, so what if I accidentally hurt you? Or.....or even kill you?" He said, his voice breaking more with every word.

"It's okay, Lucius, you won't kill me....I swear." I nuzzled my face into my neck, listening to him quiet down and make a noise that sounded like purring in the back of his throat.

He relaxed and put his forehead against mine. I sensed there was something he wanted to say.