Chapter thirteen

Joules' POV

_________________________________________

Lucius led me to the woods when he sensed my disappointment when he pulled away. As soon as we were out of sight, he began kissing me gently.

I tugged at the hem of his shirt and he was about to comply before he turned away.

"Please don't touch me.." He said, sounding sad.

"What's wrong, Lucius?" I asked.

"I...it's my scars, Joules. I have scars everywhere because of my parents." He sounded miserable.

"C'mon Lucius, you know I don't care about that. Please just let me see." Hesitantly, he pulled his shirt over his head.

"They're horrible, aren't they?" He said, slumping.

I looked at Lucius. He was right, there were scars everywhere. Two scars on his wrists, which sometimes showed when his jacket sleeves are pulled up. A scar on his stomach right below his naval, which looked like he had, at one point, bled profusely from it. The scar now on his back that I had attended to two days ago. And lastly, little scars all over that looked like the result of blade scratches. He looked bad, but I knew he didn't want my pity.

"I just wish I could've prevented it, Lucius, but I probably couldn't have if I tried." I said, wishing that I could've done something for my abused boyfriend.

"It's ok, Joules," he said, "it's my parents' fault anyway, not yours. Let's go back to the barn. Besides, we can't have that nice woman cooking all our food." He joked, making me smile and laugh.

"Ok, then let's go." I said, but having the deathly feeling that something was terribly wrong.