Chapter fourteen

Joules POV

_________________________________________

As I walked back to the barn with Lucius, I had the feeling that something was horribly wrong. As we entered the barn, my feelings turned out to be correct.

The mother and the little boy were nowhere to be found, and the barn looked ransacked.

"What?..." Lucius said, looking confused.

"I don't know," I said, my expression mirroring his.

We walked around the barn for a while, finding nothing. So we walked up to the road. Lucius saw nothing, and neither did I, until I heard the gunshot.

Lucius' POV

_________________________________________

Joules and I saw nothing as we walked up to the road. We were about to turn back when Joules face paled. I turned around to hear a gunshot, and saw that the bullet missed my head by inches.

This time, it was the police.

"Alright, put your hands up and neither of you move or you'll get shot." The young officer, who looked about nineteen, said.

Luckily, there was only this young officer, and he wasn't trained with a gun yet, or I'd be dead.

I had no idea what to do, but Joules, as smart as she is, had a plan.

"Listen, sir," she said, watching the officer puff up when he heard 'sir', "we were abused and ran away from home. Please sir, we don't mean any trouble, but we had to get away from our parents."

She said this tale as though we were siblings. She fake cried, fooling the officer. And the tale she told wasn't a lie, more like the half-truth.

"Ok, I'll let you kids go. Especially since you're so pretty," he said, winking at Joules. I had to fight the urge to growl and spit in that officer's face.

Eventually he left, leaving us alone. "That was a great act, Joules." I said, knowing she told a version that the other officers would believe.

"Yeah but someone doesn't like me getting attention, do you, Sparky?" She said, teasing me.

"Oh, you shut up. You are pretty, though. I can't deny the officer that." I said, sincere.

She sighed, not believing me, as we went back to the barn. It turns out, we missed the note on the table from the mother. She told us she was grateful but had to leave with her son before he got fussy and drove us crazy. I chuckled at the reason for her leaving, and showed it to Joules.

Five minutes later, I was tired from waking up before Joules. "Go back to sleep, Lucius. I'll watch the door if you want." She said nicely.

"Thanks, Joules," I said, and drifted off to sleep, not noticing how Joules' hands were sparking, and that she saw someone approach the door.