An Unseen Event

DISCLAIMER: Inuyasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi / the television series are produced by Sunrise.

ALSO - IF YOU HAVE NOT WATCHED THE ENDING OF THE SERIES/THE MOVIES OR READ THE MANGA THIS IS A SPOILER ALERT FOR THE BATTLE AT THE END OF THE CHAPTER (THOUGH IT ISN'T EXACTLY HOW IT PLAYS OUT, FOR THE MOST PART IT IS)

You have been warned, and you may continue reading. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The daiyōkai sat at the table in the dining hall, waiting for the miko to join him, Rin, and Jaken for dinner. To his right sat Rin, and next to her was Jaken, he purposefully left the seat on his other side open for the miko should she choose to sit close to him. Though, he wasn't so naive as to think she would trust him so easily. She, who had been on the opposite end of his whip and poison countless times. It was a wonder the miko was alive after all he had put her through if he was to be truly honest. Even so, what he had done was nothing compared to what his honorless hanyō brother had been doing.

It was moments before the entrance door opened, revealing the miko in a lavender yukata. He had to admit, for a ningen onna, the yukata did her justice. Her wavy, raven tresses flowed in the air as a small gust of wind passed through the doors, and her chocolate brown eyes gazed back at him. There was a nervous smile on her cherry red lips as she tentatively padded her feet towards the table. As she walked, he continued to look her over, though he kept his face as cold and as emotionless as always. He would have to reward Misaki for doing a great job of making the miko presentable. 

"You guys weren't waiting long were you? I'm sorry." the miko said sheepishly, her cheeks tinging a slight red.

The daiyōkai shook his head slightly, "This Sesshōmaru does not care if you take your time, as long as you are feeling alright. You are here now, and the food is ready. Let us eat."

Kagome was surprised to say the least, Sesshōmaru didn't come across as a nice person to her. From what she gathered, he was a cold, heartless bastard who probably took in Rin out of pity for her. Why Jaken would ever follow someone who barely gave him the time of day was beyond her, though he was a demon as well. Maybe all demons were like that? Ruthless, cold, and never really caring for anyone else. Then she thought different, because there were demons like the great Inu no Taishō who cared for humans. 

Her thoughts were disrupted as the room began to fill with servants bringing out varieties of foods and placing them on the table in front of the four companions. As she looked around at all the food laid out, her stomach grumbled in anticipation of food to devour. Everything looked delicious, and it was all home cooked, something she missed having on a daily basis. Though, she was unsure whether she should wait for thedaiyōkai to start eating or if she was allowed to just dig in. She didn't want to be rude, since he is giving her a place to stay after all.

As the servants cleared the room, Sesshōmaru gave a slight nod, and Rin and Jaken began eating. Kagome assumed that was the go ahead for everyone since he started eating as well, and she slowly began to eat. Everyone ate in silence aside from Rin's humming, basking in the gourmet food on their plates. Though, Sesshōmaru's mind was currently elsewhere, silently cursing himself for not keeping track of time. It seemed that the beast within him was becoming more alert, meaning that he was starting to go into heat. Not something he wanted to happen when having a guest over, especially not the ningen miko. 

For a brief moment, that only the miko noticed out of the corner of her eye, the daiyōkai's eyes flashed red and his pupils turned blue as his inner beast growled inwardly, yearning for satisfaction. It had gone just as fast as it had happened, and his eyes returned to their normal cold, amber color, leaving the miko to wonder if she had actually seen it happen. The miko did not voice her concern, instead saving it for later in the night when he would be alone in his study.