Chapter Five

DISCLAIMER: Inuyasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi / the television series are produced by Sunrise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The weekend crawled by like a snail, so when Monday morning came around the miko was actually excited to get up and be going to school. She was already up and ready by the time a knock came from the door to the room she shared with the daiyōkai. When she opened the door, she came face to face with a familiar pair of emerald green eyes and fiery hair tied up in it's usual pony tail with a teal ribbon.

"G'mornin Shippo!" the miko smiled a little too cheerfully.

The kitsune was dressed in black dress pants, a white collared shirt with a striped tie that matched the bow tie around her neck, and a dark blue blazer. It was the standard male uniform for her school, and she was actually impressed that he got his so quickly. They had only just signed him up for the school on Friday afternoon, usually uniforms took at least a week to come in. 

He flashed a smile back at her, "Morning Kagome, how are you holding up?"

"I'm doing okay, ready to not be cooped up in this box all day." she chuckled softly, her smile having faltered for only a split second during her response.

Whether he noticed or not, he said nothing about it. Instead, his attention was brought to the mewing nekomata that lounged on the bed. She was voicing her obvious irritation at being woken up early in the morning with the chatter. The kitsune padded his feet towards the bed and scratched behind one of the nekomata's ears, earning a happier mew from her. 

A shrill ringtone turned his attention away from the nekomata, and with his free hand he pulled out his cell phone, "We should probably get going, don't want to be late for my first day of class."

He held the door open for her as she slung her book bag over her shoulder and made her way to it. They walked down the hall towards the doors that lead to the parking garage, the kitsune leaning over to the eye scanner and placing his hand on the scanner at the same time. Within seconds, the doors slid open and they stepped out into the garage. He pulled his keys out of his pocket and clicked the unlock button, the lights of a blood orange Ford Mustang GT flickered in response.

The miko chuckled softly, "Nice car Shippo."

"Thank you, she's my baby." he grinned, flashing his pearly white teeth.

The kitsune opened the passenger door for her, letting her get inside and closing it before going to the driver's side and sliding into the seat. When he turned the keys in the ignition, the car quite literally roared to life. He backed up out of the parking spot and turned towards the exit, making his way up several levels to get outside of the underground parking garage. 

"So..uh...which way are we going exactly? I wasn't paying attention when we went the first time to get me signed up for classes." Shippo asked sheepishly, his cheeks taking on a pink tinge.

Kagome shook her head, "Turn right, I'll lead you the way from here." 

After several minutes, they finally made it to the high school campus and parked in a student parking spot. They had made it just in time to be able to get to class before the bell was supposed to ring to signal the start of the day. As they darted through the halls to class, many heads turned their way, girls swooning over the kitsune and shooting the miko glares. They had all heard of a new student coming to the school, but nobody had expected the miko to be his escort around campus.

"Isn't he dreamy? You don't see guys with long hair that often anymore, and it looks really hot on him." a girl said to one of her friends as the duo passed them. Her friends giggled and nodded in response.