Past and Present

DISCLAIMER: Inuyasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi / the television series are produced by Sunrise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When the jewel disappeared from existence, the miko disappeared as well, leaving the group dumbfounded and frantic. They had shouted her name as they looked around for any signs of her, but to no avail. They spent months searching the forest, looking for anything that proved she was still in their time. Eventually, the oni taiji settled down in Kaede's village and married the lecherous monk who couldn't keep his hands off of her behind. They took over caring for the young kit in the absence of their miko friend, along with the oni taiji's younger brother.

After some time, the daiyōkai tolerated them, allowing them to take in Rin as well so she could have a normal life. He would visit when he had a chance, and would sit with Rin as she told him about her day. He would also venture out to where the well had been, to see if he could smell any traces of the miko who piqued his interest before she disappeared into thin air. His inner beast wanting her over anyone else, refusing to claim anyone as a mate if he there was even a slight change he would find her once again. She had proved herself strong enough, and worthy enough to him, without realizing she had even done so. 

As they grew older Kohaku and Rin became close, practically joined at the hip doing everything together. When they were old enough, Sango was ecstatic to hear that her brother intended on proposing to Rin. She thought they were adorable together and she was happy he could finally have peace and be happy himself. The pair eventually had a daughter that was a spitting image of Rin, whom they named Kagome in memory of the miko who helped save their lives multiple times. They had her train to be the priestess to take over when Kaede passes away, and cherished every moment they had with her. 

The hanyō had stayed behind with the dead priestess until she had passed away, then he wandered the lands aimlessly. Occasionally, he would go back to Kaede's village to see if the well would reappear and it was all just some cruel joke and the miko would come out and tell her sorry she had worried everybody so much. His heart grew heavier each time he had seen neither the well, nor the ningen onna who he missed dearly.

The wolf yōkai had gone home to his tribe of the East, where he would eventually get over his love for Kagome. He kept his promise to marry Ayame, who was the granddaughter of the North tribe's leader, and combined their small tribes together. They would go on to strengthen their tribes and making them bigger. They had two kids, one girl who had Ayame's eyes and Kōga's hair, and a boy who had Ayame's hair and Kōga's eyes.

Years began to fly by, and the human lives began to wither away, not meant to last forever in this world. Soon, the daiyōkai was visiting the tombstones of the oni taiji and the monk with an older Kohaku and Rin, their daughter practically all grown up. The kit was no longer a kit anymore, but a young strapping fox yōkai that wept at the graves of his dearest friends. He no longer found happiness staying in Kaede's village after Kaede, Miroku, and Sango had passed away. So he did the unthinkable and asked thedaiyōkai if he could stay with him, he would pull his weight around the estate however he needed to. 

The surpriseddaiyōkai agreed, knowing that the young yōkai needed guidance from another demon now. Thedaiyōkai took in the young fox yōkai and taught him how to wield a blade properly and how to defend himself. All the while, in the back of the young yōkai's mind was hope that he would live long enough to see the miko in the future where she returned. He remembered that she had said humans had taken over and that demons weren't out in the open as they were now. He hoped to be able to see the wonders that the humans would build, and his heart ached to see her, hear her laugh, and be held in her arms again.

~~~~Kagome in the Present~~~~

It had been a year and a half since the well closed up and spit her back out in her time, and her heart broke just a bit more every time she walked by the sacred well or the sacred tree. When she mustered up the courage to go back to school, that's all she focused on. She focused on all of her work, pouring herself into her academics, anything to keep her mind off of the fact she couldn't go back where she wanted to be. She was about to start her second year in high school, and she always dreaded history class. She dreaded it because she knew more about the feudal era history than she cared to share, having lived through it herself.