The Truth

DISCLAIMER: Inuyasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi / the television series are produced by Sunrise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that morning, the daiyōkai took the miko back to her at the family shrine so her family wouldn't worry about her absence. When they arrived at the shrine, her mother greeted the two at the door and gave the daiyōkai a puzzled look. Her mother knew what he was, and she had an inkling that he was somehow related to the hanyō her daughter had grown very fond of. She also knew that hanyōs were frowned upon by most yōkai, so she didn't dare bring up the likeness.

Sensing the tension in her mother, the miko cleared her throat, "Mom, this is Sesshōmaru Taishō, Sesshōmaru this is my mom. I met Sesshōmaru when I was in the feudal era mom."

"Ahhh. It's nice to meet you Sesshōmaru, I'm glad my daughter found a friend from that time again. Maybe you'll bring some life back to my daughter, kami knows she needs it." her mother smiled.

A light blush appeared across the miko's cheeks, "Oh you hush mom. I wanted to talk to you about something."

"Of course, did you want your friend to accompany us as well?" 

Before she could reply, he shook his head, "It's a pleasure to meet you Mrs. Higurashi, but I have to politely decline as I have some business to attend to back at the office. Perhaps another time we could all get together for dinner?"

"Oh that would be wonderful! You are welcome here any time Sesshōmaru." her mother beamed at him, happy that her daughter found someone with manners.

He pulled the miko into a gentle embrace, leaning his head down to her ear and whispering ever so softly, "I will be back for you later, little one."

This sent shivers down her spine, and she fought to keep herself composed. With that, the daiyōkai turned and walked down the series of stairs that led out the front gate. Her mother ushered the still blushing miko inside the house, before making her way towards the kitchen. There was a few moments of silence before anyone decided to speak.

"Mom, what are we?" the miko inquired rather bluntly.

Blinking in surprise, but knowing her daughter was very smart she replied, "I could tell you we were just humans, but I'm sure the reason you're asking is because we aren't. I wanted you to live the most normal life you could, there had been a prophecy told for generations of our family."

"What prophecy? You haven't told me about one." she raised an eyebrow as she took a seat at the table.

Sighing, her mother looked at her with a serious face, "It was foretold that one of our family's generations of women would be able to breach the passageway of time, return to a time that wasn't hers and touch many hearts of those she came across on her quest to defeat an evil that threatened the lands. But I thought it was just a prophecy, I didn't honestly think it would come true. I wanted you to experience as much of a human life before you began any training and then learned of our wolf yōkai heritage."

"Did..did dad know when you guys were together?" she asked quietly.

A sad smile pulled at her mother's lips, "Yes, your father knew sweetheart, but he was not a yōkai. While it is true that he died before your brother was born, it was not an accident. Someone from my past knew I had fallen in love with a human and taken him for a mate, and they were not happy with it. They thought that by taking your father out of the picture that I would be theirs, but obviously that was not the case."

"Oh mom..I'm sorry, I shouldn't have brought him up. I know how hard it is for you to talk about dad." the miko sniffled, tears threatening to well up in her eyes as the truth behind her father's death was spoken out loud.