Knowledge is Power

The History of Magic. AKA, the most boring class. Professor Binns was a teacher...who doubled as a ghost. Apparently, he fell asleep in front of the fire and walked out of his own body to go to his class the next morning. I sat at my desk scribbling down notes about how the Gringotts Bank came to be one of the most iconic banks in the wizarding world. To me, even if the subject is boring, it doesn't mean you shouldn't take good notes. Once I had a good amount of notes (50-70) on the subject, I waited for the class to be dismissed. The ticking Grandfather clock in the corner wasn't helping much, along with the droning voice of Professor Binns.

"Now class," said the dry voice of the ghost, "read chapters 13 - 15 and take notes. Have a good day."

Students shuffled out from their desks and continued to file out of the room, cramming themselves into the tiny door space. I waited a little so I wouldn't get crammed either. After about two minutes, I got out from my seat and walked out the door.

"Miss (y/l/n)!"

I turned around. It was the mirage of Professor Binns. "Yes, Professor?"

"5 points to Gryffindor for today's class and cleverness. Most people are just to impatient these days...you understand? It's not a wonder most students don't enjoy my class. People just want to rush through things. Sometimes the past can teach you a lesson." He gave me a small smile.

"Yes, Professor. I believe it can." Returning the smile, I continued out the oaken door.

I was walking through the corridor when I hit a familiar canary-robed person.

"Holly!" I exclaimed cheerfully.

"(Y/n)!" She rushed up and gave me a hug. "How are things with....well, him" She said slyly.

Holly should've been in Slytherin or something, I thought. "Uhm...nothing in particular."

She raised an eyebrow. "Suuuuurrrrreeeee?"

"Uh....uh...." I started to get nervous. This information was highly classified!

She raised her eyebrow higher.

"FINE." My will shattered. "I-I think he sent me an anti-gagging potion. You know, the ones that Pomfrey gives to the students who have trouble swallowing medicine."

"That sounded pretty sure for an 'I think' statement."

"But I'm not sure. It could've been Pomfrey. She's been keeping an eye out for me since the 'tripping' incident."

She nodded. "Perhaps....or it was Snape, like you said."

"You know," I told her, "every time I replay that thought in my head, it seems to be more bizarre it seems to become."

"Maybe you should ask him or something. That way, you could see if he reacts or not. You catch my drift?"

Every single bone, vein, muscle, capillary, organ, and nerve in my body froze and turned into glass and shattered.

"WHAT?! DO WHAT?! YOU WANT ME TO-"

I regained my composure.

"That's the most stupidest idea ever Holly."

"Fine." She shrugged. "Then go ask Pomfrey. Whichever you think is going to be better. I got to go to class, but consider that would you? See you."

She walked down the hall. I could detect a high level of awesome sass coming off of her. I sighed outwardly. Who should I see? Snape or Pomfrey?

I headed up to the hospital wing.

I knocked on the large wooden door to be answered by a nurse.  Her blond hair was strung up and she was wearing a red dress with an apron with a red cross on it. 

"Madame Pomfrey is quite busy right now, dear. Are you injured?"

"No, ma'am. I just had a question."

"Then ask me."

"What are the side effects of an anti-gagging potion?"

She thought for a moment. "Headaches, migraines, dizziness, and decreased bladder control. Why do you ask, miss?"

" I just wanted to know for potions class. You know, try to make it better. Thank you, ma'am."

She closed the door. At least she helped me out. Even though I already had the symptom information, I still needed to know which of them gave it to me. Or if neither of them did. 

Though I already knew.

I walked down 4 flights of marble stairs and was enveloped by the cool, damp, musty air of the dungeons. I stopped and breathed it in, letting it calm me down. I took a breath in and walked towards Snape's classroom. I knocked on the door politely and waited. Eventually, the door opened to reveal the greasy-haired sorcerer. He was wearing his blue button- down vest and a pair of black pants. He looked at me expectantly. 

"What (y/l/n)? I don't have all day." His hook-shaped nose was pointed down at me. 

My face was reaching a dangerous temperature. I had to leave soon.

"Professor, I recently had this anti-gagging potion after my 'incident' in the Great Hall. I'm sure you saw it.  Anyways someone sent the potion and it's only side effect was a really bad headache, but it only lasted for a few minutes. I heard that usually the side effects are much worse and there are multiple ones. By any chance...." I paused, my face on fire. "You know, uh, never mind."

I backed up and started to walk away until....

"(L/n). You're asking if I made the potion?"

Stopping in my tracks, I turned around slowly and gave him a small smile.

"Yes, I am. But I already know the answer to that. I just wanted to say thank you."

Still smiling, I continued my way down the corridor and clomped up the dark, stone steps leaving a confused potions professor behind.

~AFTERWARDS~

Snape sat in his quarters with his hands supporting his chin. His black hair brushed the tips of his fingers. She had figured it out. A fifth year had figured it out. He wondered if he was losing his touch. No, no. He thought. If he could evade the Dark Lord's methods, this wasn't him messing up. 

It was that girl.

She was to clever, too perfect, too...... He clenched his teeth. What was she doing to him? Why was he even doing this?! He already loved someone, and she was dead.His heart drowned in a pool of misery at the thought. Anyone he had loved, died. But....(Y/n).... she wasn't disgusted or revolted when she found out it was he who made the potion. She seemed quite happy about it. He scoffed angrily at himself. 

What was he doing?