A Valentine's Masquerade Part One

YOUR POV

I sat absently eating my breakfast. I poked at it with my spoon: my appetite had already gone down the drain. I sighed and drummed my fingers on the hard oak. What was I gonna do? I already had a person I was with....even if it was forbidden, and now my best (guy) friend asked me out to the dance when my person already did. I caught Matt glancing at me nervously, so I sent him a small smile. But still....what was I going to do? It was now that this relationship really was a pain in my gluteus maximus. And I haven't even found a thing to wear and the dance was this weekend! Yes, I had been pondering their proposals for a week now. Yes, I'm an awful person. The only option that kept reappearing in my head was that I decline them both and just go with my friends with no one to worry about. I knew it wasn't the best option....but what else was there? What if I.....A great idea went off in my head. What if I went with Matt as a friend date, like a wingman? Then, I could help him find a dance partner (besides me of course). And then of course, I would 'accidentally' bump into that certain 'person' and dance. Perfect! And besides, it was a masquerade ball so no one would even recognize us! Content with the thought, I got up from my seat and went to go sit by Matt.

"Hey!" I said brightly while sitting down.

"Oh...I-uh...hi....?" He stuttered.

Oh lord, look at him: he was completely flustered. "You don't have to act all nervous, you know. I'm just here to talk about the question you asked me last week."

"Um, okay. So are you accepting?"

"I would love to except, Matt,"

His face brightened up with hope. I re-considered telling him what I was going to do, but I decided against it.

"...but I can't. I already have my eyes set on a guy already, but I would be more than happy to be your 'friend' date or your wingman. I heard Penelope Clearwater is free this year....." I wiggled my eyebrows.

He gave a sad chuckle. "Yeah, I suppose. I wish you would be going with me, but at least your offering to go as a friend, or 'wingman' as you call it. Are we still friends?"

He fixed his emerald green eyes into my (y/e/c) ones. "Yes, of course Matt. We will always be buddies! Never think otherwise!"

"Hmm....thank you (y/n)! Now....." He flashed a confused look in my direction. "What is a 'wingman'?"

Oh, right. He came from a pureblood family and the wizard world. Not the muggle one. That would explain much. How should I put this?

"Well my friend," I started, "a wingman is the person who hooks you up with a guy or gall. It doesn't really matter to me honestly. But the point is, I help you find someone. Kinda like cupid."

"Which makes sense because it's Valentine's day. But if you were gonna pair me with anyone....it would be with him."

He pointed across the room to a Hufflepuff. He had brown hair and sky blue eyes. He looked at Matt curiously over his sausage and pancakes. I had always known Matt with bi, so I was totally cool with it. In first year, he confessed to me because he couldn't hold it in anymore. And once I said I was cool with it, he gave me a hug and a big 'THANK YOU' and walked off all smiley. Good ol' Matt.

"HE JUST LOOKED AT ME HIDE ME PLEASE." He scrunched up like a turtle in its shell.

"Oh, yeah. I'm getting you two together. And what could go wrong? He's adorable. He's bound to like a guy like you! Don't worry, I'll introduce you to him at the dance." I patted his back.

"W-What if he already has a date?" Matt gave me the sad kitten face.

"I'll make him ditch it."

We both laughed at what I had said. It was nice to see him smile. I always liked it when people laughed because of my comments. Or terrible puns.

"Well," I got up, "I'm glad I cleared that up. I'll see you this weekend, okay? Remember: I'm wingman, your the guy who has to act like he's not possessed."

"Yep! But are you going with anyone?"

I blushed red and saw Matts look of triumph. "Don't look so pleased with yourself. I don't know how I'll get a dance in."

"Do you want me to be your 'wingman'?"

"Thank you, but no. Besides, don't you already have someone to deal with?" I nudged my head in the direction of the Hufflepuff boy who happened to be coming over. "Good luck..." I walked away with a smirk.

"Don't leave me!" I heard from behind me.

"Sorry, Matt. I have some things to do." I said loftily. Heh heh. 

I traveled up the grand staircases and realized I had arrived on the wrong floor. Shoot. Even worse, I would be stuck here for another five minutes before another case came around. I leaned against the wall, picturing the evening of the ball. 

In your mind~

You gracefully walked across the floor and said your hellos to friends and your Teachers. And there, in the corner, stood Severus. 

I walked over and asked him what was wrong. 

"I can't dance." he said. 

"Then I'll teach you." I grabbed his hand and dragged him onto the dance floor. 

He shifted uncomfortably. 

"Okay! So basically we take two steps forward and two backwards. One and two....one and two....."

He seemed to get better at it. "Now what?" 

"If you put your hand on my waist, it may be better...." 

He gently placed his hand on my hip. After a few minutes he seemed to become more comfortable with it. When the music stopped, he bowed. 

"It was nice dancing with you, Miss."

"You to." 

It seemed like gravity was pulling us together because I could swear he was getting closer and closer until-

"(Y/N)! THE BLOODY STAIRCASE IS ABOUT TO LEAVE ARE YOU COMING?!" 

My beautiful daydream faded away and I focused on the present. When the staircase began to move again to the left, I quickly ran and jumped (ignoring my friends pleas on NOT to jump). The world went in slow motion. My friends fear showing on their faces and putting their hands out to catch me. I looked down and saw Snape looking at me with utter concern, taking out his wand. In fact, most of the school was looking at us. Mainly because my friends were shouting the heck out of themselves and waving their arms like buffoons. 

Time resumed.

I splayed my hands out to brace the fall and I toppled onto the unforgiving surface of the staircase. I spun around a few times on the smooth surface before stopping completely. I was bound to have a few bruises later. When I realized I was on solid ground, I let a shuddery breath out, thinking, thank Merlin. Unfortunately, when I opened my eyes, I was staring directly down. I couldn't see the bottom at all; it was an endless cavern. As it, I could see all the students rushing around, like ants in an ant farm. 

"Magnificent jump, Miss (y/l/n). " I noticed a certain silver-haired Professor looking up at me. 

"Thank you!" I shouted. I got up and calmly walked off to my dorms, ignoring the shouts of my peers and the wide-eyed stares of first years. My day just got a whole lot better.