A Dusting of White

..............

A few months later (after the gagging potion incident)

.............

Fall soon faded into winter. The once gold and sunset orange forests and hills of Hogwarts faded into a pure white that covered everything it could. Students double-wrapped their House-colored scarves and made sure to stay warm during the cold months of the semester.

Winter was one of my favorite seasonal times at Hogwarts. Hagrid always putting an over-sized evergreen in the Great Hall and having the teachers decorate it (except Snape of course, the handsome party pooper). Then of course, Dumbledore asking everyone for socks and trading his wizard hat for some of the most insane things (chocolate frogs, exploding crackers, Weasley's Wizard Wheezes (he's actually quite fond of them), and of course, more socks). This year, I was thinking about getting Snape a present. In exchange for getting rid of my gagging for some time. This weekend, I was going to Hogsmeade with some friends to get some presents for each other so that would provide a good, non-suspicious opportunity to get him something.

But the question was, 'what?'.

I like having all my presents special for my friends - not some cheap object you carelessly wrapped and slapped a bow on to give to them. No. It had to come from the heart, to show the person you cared about their friendship. And getting Snape something he would actually enjoy? That was enough of a challenge. Tossing the thought aside, I gathered my things up and headed to my next class, potions.

I noticed I was walking a little to fast and slowed my pace. I finally arrived when everyone was starting to take their seats. I sat down in mine which was now placed in the middle-center of the room. Snape had changed them, but that was nothing out of the ordinary. He always does without failure. I opened my book to the correct page and began to take the tips, instructions, warnings, and ingredient lists down. The classroom was filled with the scratching of quills and occasional grunts from students who had messed up. I soon finished and began to gather the ingredients and tools to make the potion. The ingredient page was open in my notebook so I could see it properly.

1 tablespoon of pearl water

2 pinches of Rose thorn dust

2 ½ teaspoons of Ashwinder eggs (yolks)

1 medium-sized rose petal

3 teaspoons of Phoenix tears

I put the pearl water, thorn dust, Ashwinder yolks, the one rose petal, and the Phoenix tears in my cauldron carefully one at a time. I gave the potion 2 stirs clockwise, 2 stirs counterclockwise, 2 stirs clockwise repeatedly until the potion turned a pinkish - purple. Geez. Amortentia was one finicky potion. One slip up and -

"OH NO! RON WHAT DID YOU JUST D-"

BOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard a large noise from the other side of the room where Ron and Harry sat. Oh no. I looked over at them and saw some black-ish smoke folding out from their cauldron and the both coughing from it. I got up from my seat and muttered a spell to clear it.

"You guys okay?"

"Cough, yeah (y/n), cough cough, thank you, cough."

"No problem. Want some help?" I gave them a twisted smirk.

Both of them sheepishly nodded. I walked over to the table and begun to explain what the directions meant. Then I started to instruct them on how the mixing was a very important aspect to potion making. I began to show Harry how to measure Phoenix tears (which evaporated quickly).