Chapter 11

It was silent. Nobody spoke. Newt read the message aloud for others who couldn't see the paper. He then crumbled it in his fist. "Med-jacks!" Alby shouted. Clint and Jeff pushed through the crowd to get to the front. "Take this girl to one of the empty rooms in homestead!" "Then, what do we do with her?" Clint asked confused. "I don't know?! You're the med-jacks!" Alby yelled. "Hey! Why does Clint get first shot at her!" Someone shouted. Several boys laughed. "Then I get Megan!" Someone shouted. "No!, Megan's mine!" somebody else shouted. That last comment scared me. I backed up towards Newt. How could people be joking at a time like this. "Nobody touches Megan or this girl!" Newt yelled. "If someone does they will be banished!" The glade once again became silent. Clint and Jeff picked up the girl and started heading towards homestead. I looked at Thomas and saw that he was looking at me confused. I shrugged and mouthed I don't know? He sighed. Everyone started going back to their jobs. Suddenly, I felt someone tug at my arm. It was chuck. "c'mon Thomas, newt and I are going to get something to eat. wanna come?" he asked. "Sure" I said. With that he started pulling me toward homestead with Thomas next to me. I saw Newt limp over to us. Chuck loosened his grip and I was able to slow down and be side by side with newt. "Why are you starting to doubt me?" I said in an annoyed voice. "I'm not." he said. "Well, you were on Alby's side in that last conversation! Are you serious?" I said. "I was just being cautious." he said. I laughed. "cautious." I repeated. He stopped suddenly. "look, you heard the bloody girl! She said everything's going to change. I'm being cautious of what she means by that. I'm just looking out for everyone." he said. He then continued walking as I followed. When we arrived at homestead I sat next to Thomas as Newt sat next to Chuck opposite from me. Thomas passed newt, chuck and I a sandwich. "thanks." I said. "That girl
obviously knows you guys." chuck said pointing to me and Thomas. I cleared my throat trying to tell him to change the subject. I finished eating my sandwich. Thomas and chuck got into a deep conversation. I rested my head in my hands as I thought about what just happened. who was that girl? I thought, how'd she know me? Thomas got up and walked out of homestead saying he will see us later. "I think I'm also gonna go." I said as I stood up. Newt gave me a confused look but I walked out of homestead towards the deadheads. I sat under a tree and closed my eyes. why does everything have to be so hard? why did this have to happen to me? Worst of all questions, did Newt believe me? Is he still on my side? I also thought about Minho. Would he let me join the runners? Do I have to take the test over since it was cut short? Millions of questions were flying through my head causing a headache. I sat there for what seemed like an hour. I then heard yelling coming from deep in the deadheads. I immediately stood up. who is that? I turned toward homestead. Should I get Newt and Alby? Without thinking I turned back towards the deadheads and started running. I dodged trees and jumped over logs. The yelling got louder as I got deeper in the woods.
Oh my god, who is that? I then arrived at a graveyard. Several horribly prepared crosses were poking through a thick layer of leafy weeds growing close to the ground. I then heard the yelling again but it was the loudest I've heard it. I turned toward the far corner of the grave yard to see a glader I haven't seen before tackle Thomas to the ground. Thomas pushed and swatted at the attacker but I watched as the glader bit hard into Thomas's shoulder. I ran towards Thomas and shoved his attacker off of him. I tried to focus on the unknown glader. He had enormous eyes, pale skin, ropelike veins that ran along his body that were pulsing and green, and he was holding a knife in his right hand. The attacker turned to me. I was suddenly taken over by fear. I saw Thomas squirming on his hands and feet trying to get away. The attacker then lunged toward me, throwing me to the ground. "What the hell?!" I yelled. I punched and shoved at him but he took out his knife and started to slowly cut me on the cheek. I yelled out in pain and kicked him in the face sending him backwards. I gasped for air as I stumbled towards Thomas.

"Ben!"

I looked towards the voice surprised to see Alby holding a large bow armed with an arrow. "Stop! Right now!" he yelled. I turned back towards Ben, who stared viciously at Alby. "They are not one of us!" Ben shouted. "I saw them-- they're.....they're bad. We have to kill them and that girl back at homestead!" I moved farther away from Ben. what happened to him? What is he talking about? "You leave that to me and the keepers to figure out, shuck-face." Alby said starting to aim for Ben. "Right now, you need to get yourself back to homestead."
"They'll want to take us home.....get us out of here. Better we all jump off the cliff or better we all kill each other!" Ben said. "Ben, I'm gonna count to three." Alby said calmly. "She's bad, he's bad, They are all bad..." Ben was whispering, almost chanting. he switched his knife from hand to hand, eyes glued to me and thomas.
"One."
"Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad....." Ben smiled. I wanted to look away and run back towards homestead; I was too mesmerized, too scared.
"Two." Alby's voice was filled with warning.
Ben then started screaming as he lunged towards me and Thomas.
"THREE!" Alby yelled.
I watched as the arrow was shot right into Ben's cheek. Ben's head snapped violently to the left, twisting violently till he landed on his stomach. He made no sound. I fought the urge to puke. Was Ben dead because of me and Thomas? Was it our fault? I turned to see Thomas limp over to a tree and vomit. His whole body shook. "c'mon baggers'll take care of him tomorrow." Alby said. With that Alby disappeared from where he stood. I got up to leave but I didn't want to leave Thomas. "Do you need some help, there?" I asked. Thomas turned toward me and made a hand gesture telling me to leave. I then walked out of the deadheads, with the image of Ben still in my mind. I reached up and touched my cheek. I felt a lot of blood dripping down my face. Ben must have gave me a deep cut. I turned towards homestead and saw Newt walk out. He must have seen me because he started limping in my direction. I got another picture of Ben, the arrow finding it's home in his cheek. That was the last straw. I walked over to a tree and fell to my knees, puking everything I was holding back. I thought it would never end. When I finally stopped I grabbed a large leaf and wiped my mouth with it. No, I'm not going to use my hands like other people would do! I then got up and walked towards Homestead, walking right passed Newt. "Are you--" Newt started and reached out to me but I held up a finger telling him to wait for a second. Suddenly, my vision blurred causing me to stumble backwards a little. I couldn't talk right now. When I was in homestead, I quickly ran into the bathroom. I walked over to a sink and washed out my mouth and face. I tried to wash most of the blood but my cut kept bleeding. What did Ben mean by seeing us before? What is wrong with him? When I was finished I walked out of homestead. I didn't see Newt anywhere so I walked over to the tree I slept under yesterday and sat down. I sighed. "Can this get any worse?" I asked out loud. Despite the pain from the cut I finally drifted off into a deep sleep.

Hey, all you shanks out there! Im sorry that I haven't updated in a while. I've been on vacation most of the time, and since there wasn't any wifi, I couldn't update. Thank you so much for continuing to read my book and I'll talk to you guys later! ✌️✌️✌️