Chapter 12

I woke up next to Newt. My head was on his shoulder. I reached up and touched my cheek. I didn't feel any blood. The cut was cleaned. I looked up at Newt and saw that he was still asleep. Did he clean my cut? I then slowly got up, trying not to wake up Newt. I started walking toward the map room cause I knew Minho would be there. I slowly opened the door, trying to be quiet, but failed. The door made a loud creaking sound and the three runners in the room turned toward me. "Sorry." I said holding my hands up in surrender. I saw Minho on the other side of the room. "Minho! Ummm.... Can I talk to you outside for a sec?" I asked. Minho walked outside as I followed. "What's up shank?" he asked. "I wanted to ask you--" I started but was cut off by Minho. "I forgot to tell you, your gonna be a runner!" "What?!" I said. "ya, Alby told me how you helped out Thomas with Ben in the deadheads and even though your test was short, you showed a lot of skills." he said. "Oh my god!!!!" I said and started jumping up and down. "And I was just about to go wake you up. Today is your first day!" he said. I immediately stopped jumping. "what." I said. Today was my first day? Am I ready? What if I mess up? "Yup. c'mon, let's get you ready." He said and headed back inside. I hesitantly followed. He lead me into another room. The walls were lined with shelves. there were shirts, pants and the same running shoes Newt has. Minho then handed me a black digital watch. "Put it on and never take it off, ok?" he said. I nodded. "good that" he then handed me a backpack. "this contains water bottles, lunch pack, some shirts and shorts, and other stuff. Probably not girl shorts but it's all we got. All you need now, are some weapons, and some lunch." he said and headed toward a small trapdoor. "Weapons?, you guys are pretty prepared." I said. "couple of years of runnin, you figure out what you need and ask for it" He lifted it open, revealing some wooden stairs leading into blackness. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, you guys can make requests?" I asked. "yup, just drop a note in the box and there she goes. doesn't mean we always get what we asked for. sometimes we do, sometimes we don't" Minho started walking down the stairs into what seemed like a large basement. I followed. At the bottom Minho pulled a string to turn on a lightbulb. One entire wall was dedicated to archery. there were extra strings and arrows and large bows. another wall had knifes long and short as we'll as spears. "wow, you guys are pretty prepared..." I said. "we don't use most of it but we always need to be prepared" Minho said. I walked over to the wall with the knives and spears. I saw two long, identical knives. it had "My weapon" written all over it. I took one knife in my hand and other in my other hand. I showed them to Minho and put them in my back pockets. "ok, now we need to pack some lunch." he said as he started walking back up the stairs. I followed.

......

When we arrived at homestead, we sat at a table with some other runners. Frypan handed me four sandwiches. I'm guessing that I eat one now, and save the rest for later. as I ate my sandwich, I noticed that one of the other runners was staring at me. He had dark brown hair, was muscular, was about Newts height, had pale skin, and was about sixteen or seventeen. I turned to him but all he did was smile. I smiled back and looked away. As I finished eating Minho was telling all the runners that it was time to go. I put the rest of my sandwiches in my backpack. Minho started walking out of homestead as we followed. "Chase is going to be running with us." Minho said pointing to someone next to me. I turned to see the same guy that was smiling at me. He gave me a short wave and smiled. I smiled back. "Ok, are you shanks ready?" Minho asked. "yes." me and chase said at the same time. "ok, let's go." Minho started running as I followed with Chase by my side. I watched as we ran into the maze. As we ran from the safety of the glade into the dangers of the maze. I looked at Minho, who didn't look scared at all. I knew he was, he just doesn't want to show it. "You know, I never got your name." Chase said next to me. "my name's Megan." I said. We ran through several corridors, I moved up so I was right beside Minho as he turned left and right without seeming to think about it. We ran for a while. after every turn